Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Well that's it finished, took about 3 hours. Seems faster.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Laptop installed and updated in 45 minutes, in part due to the installation files being offloaded from my Desktop, but, even so, the update took less than 15 minutes .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2018, 04:29 PM

By setting my internet connection as a metered connection (although it isn't!), I have so far managed to stave off the Windows Update attack!

I have tried to prevent this before by setting WU as 'disabled' in Control Panel / Administrative Tools. Unfortunately, Microsoft succeeded in overriding that setting somehow!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-version-1809/

In a support document updated today, October 6, the Redmond-based OS maker said it took this decision after users complained that v1809 had deleted files after the update.

We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.

The problem has been with the deletion of user files located in the C:/Users/[username]/Documents/ folder.
AFAIK, if OneDrive is in use then the files in Documents are secure (they are in my case) but if not then they are gone forever, so ensure that OneDrive is in use.

NOTE: If "Metered Connection" has been set ON to avoid Windows Updates then OneDrive is disconnected (or it was when I tried it) so the Documents folder (or all user files, to be safe) MUST be backed up manually.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Fortunately I don't seem to have lost anything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-version-1809/

AFAIK, if OneDrive is in use then the files in Documents are secure (they are in my case) but if not then they are gone forever, so ensure that OneDrive is in use.

NOTE: If "Metered Connection" has been set ON to avoid Windows Updates then OneDrive is disconnected (or it was when I tried it) so the Documents folder (or all user files, to be safe) MUST be backed up manually.
Good news that they have at last listened to users' problems!

Yes, my One Drive is disconnected due to the above, but whenever I copy a file to that storage area I temporarily disable the 'metered connection' option.

Even so, as One Drive is owned by Microsoft - and I don't think I can trust them - I have also copied new and revised files to Dropbox as well.

All of the files saved in that way are periodically copied to external hard drives.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good news that they have at last listened to users' problems!

Yes, my One Drive is disconnected due to the above, but whenever I copy a file to that storage area I temporarily disable the 'metered connection' option.

Even so, as One Drive is owned by Microsoft - and I don't think I can trust them - I have also copied new and revised files to Dropbox as well.

All of the files saved in that way are periodically copied to external hard drives.
Belt and braces is the way forward .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 10:13 AM

One of my computers dual-boots with Linux Mint. The drawback updating W.10 on this one is that the file that makes it possible to dual-boot between Windows and Mint has been overwritten. The computer now boots straight into Windows without giving the option to boot into Linux Mint.

I know this has been a problem for dual-booters in the past and there are recovery procedures. What I'll probably do this time though, is clean install Linux Mint with the latest version and let installation procedure set up the dual-boot arrangement again.

No loss of files occurred for me because I tend not to keep that many files in the Documents folder on the C: drive. They are mostly all stored on other disks.

Everyone should have back-ups of files of course but still bad that an update was released where this could happen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-10-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
One of my computers dual-boots with Linux Mint. The drawback updating W.10 on this one is that the file that makes it possible to dual-boot between Windows and Mint has been overwritten. The computer now boots straight into Windows without giving the option to boot into Linux Mint.

I know this has been a problem for dual-booters in the past and there are recovery procedures. What I'll probably do this time though, is clean install Linux Mint with the latest version and let installation procedure set up the dual-boot arrangement again.

No loss of files occurred for me because I tend not to keep that many files in the Documents folder on the C: drive. They are mostly all stored on other disks.

Everyone should have back-ups of files of course but still bad that an update was released where this could happen.
Worse than 'bad'. I call it disgusting. Yet another example of Microsoft's aims to take full control of its customers' computers.

I'm surprised that many more people have not turned their backs on Windows before now.

The reason is, of course, that many people (like me) run software that will only run on Windows, at least I think so.

The forthcoming possible alternative to Windows, Reactos, as mentioned on here, sounds ever more attractive!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The forthcoming possible alternative to Windows, Reactos, as mentioned on here, sounds ever more attractive!
I tried ReactOS but it's still got a long way to go from what I saw of screenshots on the Internet. I had to rely on screenshots because the installation didn't get as far working at all for me. Maybe one day though.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top