Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Living alone

Does anyone live alone, no partner,no family near enough to help? Do you find it hard ?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Re: Living alone

Deylon, in my younger years I lived alone and tbh I loved it

There may possibly be a time in my older years that I will have to as well. Will I love it? I don't know. Needs are different at 70+ then 20+

I did spend 3 months when I was living alone completely bed bound, waiting on a carer to come get me out of bed for the toilet and make me meals. That was very hard, not because I was lonely, but because I honestly could do a thing for myself

Im happy with my own company as a norm. But being reliant on others for the most basics of living was a killer
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Yes deylon , on my own 15 yrs now , no family nearby and I had to deal with some big stuff by myself . My kids aren't really that interested in their mum , they think Im out partying all the time ( dunno where that came from ) maybe when I was first alone and had moved house out of necessity I did go out a lot and often by myself (brave wasn't I )

Im used to it now , I'm more selfwise ( not selfish) but I have noticed as I've become older I'm more lonely. ( Never thought I'd feel that )

I keep busy , I'm at college twice a week , also a yoga class . I still work part time .

It's tough at times , it has its advantages and of course disadvantages . But I'd rather be on my own than unhappy in a relationship
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:21 PM

I've been on my own for 16 years now.
I didn't plan it that way, it's just how life works out sometimes.

I have always had dogs with me for love and companionship though.
I could never live entirely alone and come home to an empty house every day.

I suppose if I am honest, on the odd occassion I have been aware of feeling a little lonely, more since I left work when I was used to being with people all day. But it passes.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 06:25 AM

My friend lives on her own after being widowed 12 years ago. Luckily though she does have friends & family around her.

If a person living alone has no family to help they must turn to voluntary organisations for help. These will provide home visits for the housebound, drivers for hospital visits or to take them shopping etc..

There are lots of friendship clubs to join if you look around - and the local council do a free handyman service where you can call them out to do essential odd jobs for you.

If the person alone has any religious inclinations I would imagine joining a church would be a good thing. They would have somebody to care about them..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Some folks are designed as a unitarian entity. They appear to have everything "on board" to progress through life, without contact with their peers, not being influenced by emotion, or current affairs.

This disposition must represent utopia to folks with many issues, but, all is never as it seems.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Yes ive been a hermit now for 28 years, its not a problem for me.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Yes ive been a hermit now for 28 years, its not a problem for me.
Nom that is because you have interests and keep yourself busy. I hope you will share some of your drawings with us when you do them.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:19 AM

I live on my own but I'm not lonely, I have all my friends round; Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Johnny Walker....

No, more seriously I separated from my wife about 7 years ago, and years before that I fell out with my relations

I moved to Burnley, mainly because it's cheap, but it has points in its favour; it is handy for countryside like Bowland & South Pennines; direct bus to Manchester & other cities including a coach to Brum & London; access to the motorways, though they are becoming harder to use

But I'm afraid I have found it more difficult to meet people & find friends - I think that applies generally as you get older
I exchange letters & emails with people on the other side of the country, or even in other countries, but don't know many people locally

I joined the local Ramblers group; & U3A but ill health has kept me away from them for a while now; but I've been feeling better lately, I really should get back to them

I'm an atheist, so don't go to church groups
I tried to get involved with starting a Mens Shed, but it was organised by the council, which is the kiss of death for most activities
I've been on a couple of easy health-in-the-community type walks. I really should make it a regular thing, but once you get out of the habit of doing something, it seems harder to get back into a routine

I don't feel lonely, and yet I could do with getting out & about more

Alternatively, I could just settle into Wetherspoons for my pint of bitter at 9-15 each morning
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Have been on my own for thirteen years now. It's no real hardship now as I've settled into a routine and can do what I like when I like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top