Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
jsm6022a
New Member!
Gainesville,FL USA
jsm6022a is female 

28-09-2018, 10:28 PM

Type II Diabetes

Was recently diagnosed. Am on Metformin 3 times a day and 8 units of Humulin N at night. Would like to know how you handle your Type II regime as I am new to mine.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 10:45 PM

Re: Type II Diabetes

I have supposedly diabetes my sugars are sky high in the 70s and 80s but my symptoms when I was asked are all similar to the ones I have had for years with my Emphysema. So not really quite sure what level of diabetes I have and to be truthful I ain't really bothered.
I was in hospital about 2 months back now with my breathing, and I had my finger test twice a day and it was up and down from 11 to 14
I did ask my gp just what is going on because the readings from the nurses at the hospital were completely different to the clinics and why am I getting 2 different types of readings.
I told her they all maybe reading the same book but are all on different pages in my opinion they should all be doing the same test's.
Anyways told my gp what to do with the Metformin it was screwing up my stomach now I am on Alogliptina and Empagliflozin so far so good been a couple of weeks now and my stomach as never felt better.

Good luck with your meds I hope they have got them right the first time..
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Hi Jackie,

I have been Diabetic Type I for over 30 years now and manage it well.
As long as you eat a sensible healthy diet and omit all sugars, cakes, carbs you will be alright.

You can also look on the Internet under:

www.diabetes.co.uk or www.diabetes.org

they are both very helpful.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 10:23 AM

I have been diagnosed with Type II diabetes for a fair few years now, with varying levels of control. I am now taking metformin, gliclazide and most recently, empagliflozin. This latter one is a revelation - my blood sugar reading are nearly all in single figures and it is the mythical slimming tablet that forces you to lose weight. I am waiting for a blood test result which, I hope, will show me my kidneys are coping with it. My only concern is that the mode of weight loss is such that I cannot see how it will ever stop so must the time taking the tablet be limited?
I also do my damnedest to eat a low carb diet. This increasingly popular idea (because it works) flies in the face of the official advice that is still churned out by many health centres. Quite why, I don't know unless it is to appease the pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 07:32 PM

As mentioned above, watch out for the Metformin. It can cause terrible stomach upsets in some people. It game me what I thought was IBS, and it ruined a few years of my life because, back then, doctors never connected Metformin as being the cause of the IBS-like symptoms.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Jackie, have you looked at the sites I gave you? and was they helpful.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 12:19 PM

My brother in law was diagnosed with T2D and after losing over 2st in weight and sticking to a health diet he is now free of the condition and medication.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

04-10-2018, 02:32 PM

That's great news Meg.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
That's great news Meg.
Thank you it is Susie my BIL also took on an allotment in addition to his garden so he is getting lots of exercise and vegetables.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:45 PM

I was diagnosed with type 2, diabetic ketoacidosis in 1989...and hospitalized for two weeks. At the time my blood sugars had skyrocketed to 37...and I was apparently moments from a hyperglycemic coma... I was immediately put on high doses insulin...

So, here I am now twenty-nine years later...and the complications from type 2 diabetes...are drastically affecting my kidneys and causing neuropathy in my legs and feet but the good news is that my eyes are still fine.

I am having a really bad weekend...as my nephrologist has set up a three hour appt. on Tuesday at The Kidney Care Centre...for me. He is hoping that if I can learn ways to get my numbers back up...perhaps I can avoid having to go onto dialysis, within a couple of years...

Thank you, susiejaeger...for your reply to me in "Salads"...it prompted me to post here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top