Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Another name this plant/weed thread.

I have to be honest and say that I have searched high and low for this but so far have not found the answer.

The plant is currently about 18" high and new leaves appearing all the time.

I don't remember planting it but I can't imagine there was a space for it either.

The stems are reddish and sort of rhubarb-like.

The leaves are long (approx 10cm) and pointed with a serrated edge. What's unusual is that the veins run from the end of the leaf and along the length,rather than running sideways.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011013.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	9502   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011014.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	9503   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011015.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	9504  
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:45 PM

Re: Another name this plant/weed thread.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I don't remember planting it but I can't imagine there was a space for it either.

Trying my very best to be helpful Dingy....

...must be a weed then

Ok I'm going...

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Trying my very best to be helpful Dingy....

...must be a weed then

Ok I'm going...

Trouble is, there have been many changes, plants that didn't survive so were pulled up. It just seems too sort of .... shrub-like to be a weed though.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 03:00 PM

TBH I do recognise the leaves, but that might be because it reminds me of a particular type of lettuce

How's about if you dug it up and potted it up, so if it is a random invasive type of plant, it's contained until you can see what it morphs into?
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 03:19 PM

I'm wondering if it's a sort of wild spinach or chard? That would account for the reddish stems and the bunching.

Don't eat it until you're sure, though!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-05-2019, 03:50 PM

TBH I do recognise the leaves, but that might be because it reminds me of a particular type of lettuce

How's about if you dug it up and potted it up, so if it is a random invasive type of plant, it's contained until you can see what it morphs into?
Yes, that's a good idea pesta. I did that with another 'plant' that did urn out to be a weed. I will need a big pot though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I'm wondering if it's a sort of wild spinach or chard? That would account for the reddish stems and the bunching.

Don't eat it until you're sure, though!
Could be I suppose, Could have just seeded there. Don't worry, I won't eat it, not yet anyway.

The stems are similar but the leaf veins different.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Yes, that's a good idea pesta. I did that with another 'plant' that did urn out to be a weed. I will need a big pot though.
You don't have to get in it, the plant does
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 04:00 PM

You don't have to get in it, the plant does
Pyxell
South of England

04-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Could be I suppose, Could have just seeded there. Don't worry, I won't eat it, not yet anyway.

The stems are similar but the leaf veins different.
I've been getting foraged salad leaves in my veg box delivery..... I'll have a look at the latest lot and see if there's anything similar.

If all else fails, you could try emailing the pics to the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) to see if they know.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top