Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 02:39 AM

Re: Private healthcare

BTW An acquaintance of mine just had a prostate operation. Rather than wait his turn in the Medicare queue he paid $30000 to have it done privately straight away.

Some of that will be refunded by Medicare but medical is not a cheap business
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 08:34 PM

Bumping this thread rather than beginning a new one as it refers to dental costs.
I had my first appointment with my new dentist today. Firstly, just a quick refresher on the circumstances:

Some of you may recall back in September some hassle I had when a long-standing front crown came loose and was re-cemented back in and I paid the NHS Band 1 charge for the work. Two or three days later the crown was loose again and a second visit to my dentist saw it fixed once more. The problem was that I was asked to pay AGAIN even though it was only a couple of days since it fell out.
Cutting things short, I complained and said I would call the governing body and mention this. A call back from the dentist said that she was very upset and she would waive the charge if I left her practice. This I did.

By the by, and the crown was okay until last month when it was loose again. I tried in vain to find a new dentist and was told to ring again on June 1st. I managed to get in at my previous dentist. Meanwhile my crown fell out two weeks ago, the problem was that it had actually broken off and leaves an unsightly gap with broken tooth in the gum.

Last week I joined a dental plan through my union Unite for £11.50 per month which covers all NHS charges to the value of £500 per year.

Today I went to my new dentist and she was very good and after a check-up explained that I could have dentures fitted but because of this procedure it may require doing on a continuous basis over the years, costing my Band 3 charges each time I went to get it sorted out. Over time, though I would get most of my charges back, this would be very annoying to have to get done all the time.
She explained about the procedure for a pallate to be fitted for the one tooth which would be permanent and adjustable and would be a good idea but this would be private treatment and she didn't do that. I said I would go away and maybe find a private dentist and look into this. I have managed to cancel the Unite dental plan before my first payment as this is now pointless.

Well, it costs an absolute fortune! Around £2700 to get done. I'm thinking though that it may be worth it as I can get it sorted when I dip into my age 55 pension in October. I'm now going to wait three months or so until I can go ahead and start talking to private dentists.
JJ50
United Kingdom
JJ50 is female 

12-07-2019, 01:38 PM

I would have no hesitation in paying for any healthcare if it was necessary and couldn't be provided toute suite by the NHS.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JJ50 ->
I would have no hesitation in paying for any healthcare if it was necessary and couldn't be provided toute suite by the NHS.
In an emergency I guess we would get it sorted straight away and more than likely be referred pronto. But it's often to do with financial circumstances and I for one do not have ready access to funds at the moment. In the near future I will be looking at some health care packages for me and my wife. There's no way I want us both to suffer in our old age.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2019, 11:18 PM

Private healthcare and dental insurance comes as part of my benefits package from work.
I’ve never had a reason to use the healthcare part other than the routine bi-yearly Bupa health assessments but have definitely benefited greatly from the dental insurance.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-07-2019, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
Private healthcare and dental insurance comes as part of my benefits package from work.
I’ve never had a reason to use the healthcare part other than the routine bi-yearly Bupa health assessments but have definitely benefited greatly from the dental insurance.
That sounds like a good plan, CoffeeCake. Wish our place looked after us like that.
When I'm more solvent I'll be looking into some long-term health plans. It makes perfect sense really as we get older
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2019, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by JJ50 ->
I hope that you have a bottomless pocket, then .....

My recent Open Repair Of Recurrent Inguinal Hernia would have cost £2,650 at, for example, London Hernia - that's for consultation, surgeons fee, anaesthetist fee, pre-operative assessment, the procedure itself and one post-operative appointment.

Which Magazine provide some useful examples of private healthcare cost for common procedures:

CT scan Up to £870
MRI scan Up to £1,298
Cataract surgery £2,140
Skin lesion removal £940
Knee replacement £11,814
Hip replacement £10,776

For cardiac surgery, Southampton Cardiac Surgery provide some examples:

Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) £19,224
Aortic valve replacement (AVR) £22,780
Mitral valve repair/replacement (MVR/R) £23,654
CABG + AVR £25,095
CABG + MVR £25,961

All prices exclude pacemaker insertion - an additional charge of £6,000-£8,000 will be made, if required.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-07-2019, 06:57 AM

Well thinking again yesterday about my crown rellacement, I've decided to get it done on the NHS. This will involve an impression made of my tooth abd a denture fitted. It's worth a go at the band 3 price of around £260 opposed to going private and paying many thousands. I'm sure they will do a good job. I'm getting fed up with having a great big glaring gap right in the centre of my top row of teeth and want it done. Hell, I'm even embarassed to smile!

So with this arranged for August, I have re-joined the Unite Dental Plan for £11.50 per month. It's a no brainer as I get all my charges back anyway!
Bring it on

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top