Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Re: 3.7 Million Householders Will Now Have to Pay for over 75's Television Licence!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Is this just for those who have newly arrived at 75? Or will those who already have a free licence now have to pay for one?

Not just for new over 75s, existing recipients will now have to pay unless in receipt of pension credit.

They could of course just not pay, think of the publicity for the BBC when they start taking over 75s to court.

Currently BBC2 is showing a 1951 Ealing comedy, such good value.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:08 PM

Re: 3.7 Million Householders Will Now Have to Pay for over 75's Television Licence!

I think everybody should stop paying for the licence in protest.
Problem is though, most people are law-abiding, especially the older generation. they are far too honest to ever do that.

I don't think I could honestly switch the tv on without looking out of the window to see if the detector van was about. It would mean too much stress for me. I'm afraid my revolutionery mindset has long gone.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:16 PM

It's always the same in Britain. The system works for the well off at one end of the scale and the ponces at the other end. Those in the middle always get the shaft.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:19 PM

Other countries, like Portugal, have a better/fairer way of financing their non-commercial state channel: they add a small percentage to electricity bills. Big houses (with numerous TVs, presumably) pay big bills, pay more TV tax than say a lone oldie.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:22 PM

That's far to sensible d00d
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Why are those pensioners who are entitled to Pension Credit vilified by those who are not as if they've done something untoward to be in receipt of it ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Other countries, like Portugal, have a better/fairer way of financing their non-commercial state channel: they add a small percentage to electricity bills. Big houses (with numerous TVs, presumably) pay big bills, pay more TV tax than say a lone oldie.
That is fairer, no doubt but I think with all the new ways we can watch TV over here, the license fee should be scrapped so that you just pay a subscription for what you want to watch.

That way if you want to watch news reporters with their biased views or listen to the latest lesbian whale music from Bangladesh on R4, you can pay for the pleasure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Why are those pensioners who are entitled to Pension Credit vilified by those who are not as if they've done something untoward to be in receipt of it ?
Because some of them are far too smug about it (and I don't mean you Zuleika).

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I don't think any poster meant insult to pensioners on Pension Credit, Zuleika. It was rather aimed at another poster whose post sounded rather smug as they would not be effected.
Thank goodness the BBC have chosen to allow those on Pension Credit to continue with free licence. But it is true that the more well off don't mind so much because they can well afford to pay it, those on Pension Credit will not have to worry either, but it always seems to be the pensioner who is struggling everyday to get by and not claiming Pension Credit, that end's up being the convenient patsy for organisations to punish, as they know that particular group has no-one fighting their corner and are therefore easy fodder to milk more money out of.

(At least that is my impression of what the poster meant.)
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 04:47 PM

What a blow that is, there's me thinking I might get a free TV licence one year later and it's not going to happen!

Is it just coincidence I wonder that the cost of a television licence, increasing by £4 in April 2020, is almost what a week's New State Pension amounts to – the maximum amount payable is £168.60 a week?

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated

"The television licence fee is going up from £150.50 to £154.50 on 1 April 2019, the government has announced.
The annual price rise is in line with inflation.
Anyone watching or recording TV programmes as they are shown on TV, or watching or downloading BBC programmes on the iPlayer, must have a licence. This also applies to laptops, tablets and phones.
The new licence fee will cost £2.97 a week or £12.87 a month."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47091015

I also wonder how much someone earning £40,000 or £50,000 a year would complain if they had to pay for their TV licence commensurate to their level of earnings? On those salaries that would be the equivalent of £769.23 and £961.53 respectively for an annual TV licence.

It's time the TV licence was abolished in favour of something those who don't wish to watch BBC can opt out of I reckon.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top