Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 06:27 AM

Re: Oh Dear

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
It'll make not one iota of difference.

Why is that do you think Artful Todger? (Genuine question.)
Never underestimate the power and influence that the mullahs.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 07:14 AM

Never underestimate the power and influence that the mullahs [EXERT?]

Oh yes I know how much power they have. But one thing that I think is worth considering, not just in Turkey or the Islamic world but all over the world, is what they have in common with just about every other regime. Most of them are middle aged or old men. The two groups that I think will really change that in the future - everywhere- are young people and women. I think the young people and women of the world are very sick of being dictated to by ugly, cruel, bitter, frustrated, and sometimes perverted old men regardless of what kind of silly hat and costume they wear. There comes a time when all the guns and tanks and executions can't stop the tide of change. People would rather have death than oppression. The women of Turkey are used to freedom like the young people of Hong Kong. But sure we'll see what happens innit!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Oh yes I know how much power they have. But one thing that I think is worth considering, not just in Turkey or the Islamic world but all over the world, is what they have in common with just about every other regime. Most of them are middle aged or old men. The two groups that I think will really change that in the future - everywhere- are young people and women. I think the young people and women of the world are very sick of being dictated to by ugly, cruel, bitter, frustrated, and sometimes perverted old men regardless of what kind of silly hat and costume they wear. There comes a time when all the guns and tanks and executions can't stop the tide of change. People would rather have death than oppression. The women of Turkey are used to freedom like the young people of Hong Kong. But sure we'll see what happens innit!
OK, never underestimate the power that the mullahs represent.

They provide the guidance on what must be done and what must not be done in order to enter paradise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Oh yes I know how much power they have. But one thing that I think is worth considering, not just in Turkey or the Islamic world but all over the world, is what they have in common with just about every other regime. Most of them are middle aged or old men. The two groups that I think will really change that in the future - everywhere- are young people and women. I think the young people and women of the world are very sick of being dictated to by ugly, cruel, bitter, frustrated, and sometimes perverted old men regardless of what kind of silly hat and costume they wear. There comes a time when all the guns and tanks and executions can't stop the tide of change. People would rather have death than oppression.The women of Turkey are used to freedom like the young people of Hong Kong. But sure we'll see what happens innit!
So are the women of the uk .
Doesn't stop silly girls converting to Islam for the sake of a good looking bloke .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Agree. One only has to also look at the people of the Czech Republic this week. Half a million people protesting for the removal of their PM, one Mr Babis, who is mired in corruption. The biggest protest since the end of communism started with just a few students protesting and has resulted in what is happening at present, for his removal.

Never underestimate the power of the young.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Agree. One only has to also look at the people of the Czech Republic this week. Half a million people protesting for the removal of their PM, one Mr Babis, who is mired in corruption. The biggest protest since the end of communism started with just a few students protesting and has resulted in what is happening at present, for his removal.

Turkey has a young population. Imamoğlu's victory was a huge blow to Erdoğan. Just look at the huge crowds that took to the streets after the result was announced. Erdoğan's pushing for a rerun of the March election backfired big time when his party suffered an even worse defeat.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48739256
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Think of Egypt and all the poor young people who died in the Arab Spring .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
OK, never underestimate the power that the mullahs represent.

They provide the guidance on what must be done and what must not be done in order to enter paradise.
Turkey was more or less secular before Erdogan's rise to power so the mullahs didn't have as much influence as they do as in say, Iran. It's only Erdogan's increasingly dictatorial stance and his drive to make Turkey an Islamic caliphate with himself at the head that the mullahs are being encouraged to influence law.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Turkey was more or less secular before Erdogan's rise to power so the mullahs didn't have as much influence as they do as in say, Iran. It's only Erdogan's increasingly dictatorial stance and his drive to make Turkey an Islamic caliphate with himself at the head that the mullahs are being encouraged to influence law.
Erdoğan has been indulging in building Mosques and religious schools all over Turkey. A large mosque has been built just across the road from another mosque in a small town we often visit much to the annoyance of many locals. He has also built a huge mosque on Camlıca hill, the highest point in Istanbul.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/culture/tur...tanbul/1411788

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top