Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Re: Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Originally Posted by d00d ->
My father once said ...

"Never lend money to the skint"

He, my father, lived a colourful life, born into money, made more and lost all.

But his words of wisdom, I'll never forget, and I will forever wonder what he meant.
Yes, Doody. I always say we work to live, not live to work.
Just adding my bit of confusion. xxx
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:21 PM

When I left my second husband and moved into my own place, shortly thereafter, a close friend left her husband and moved in with me. We had both been married to jerks. She didn't have an alarm clock, so I loaned her my travel alarm clock until she could buy her own. Well, she used the clock until it broke, gave it back to me and never offered to pay for it or get me a replacement. She just laughed.

I didn't know anyone would remember the old adage about never borrowing or lending anything. Dad told it to me when I was a kid. My husband are I are very frugal with our money. So we have enough for all that we need. But his kids (47 and 48) think that while they spend money on drugs, alcohol and cigarettes and waste it on a variety of other things, we should give them money as they "need" it and if they come to visit, they plan the trips so that we have to pay their way home. Hubby has been telling them not to come until they have extra money and are set. Needless to say they get pissed about this. I was soooo right not to have kids.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
When I left my second husband and moved into my own place, shortly thereafter, a close friend left her husband and moved in with me. We had both been married to jerks. She didn't have an alarm clock, so I loaned her my travel alarm clock until she could buy her own. Well, she used the clock until it broke, gave it back to me and never offered to pay for it or get me a replacement. She just laughed.

I didn't know anyone would remember the old adage about never borrowing or lending anything. Dad told it to me when I was a kid. My husband are I are very frugal with our money. So we have enough for all that we need. But his kids (47 and 48) think that while they spend money on drugs, alcohol and cigarettes and waste it on a variety of other things, we should give them money as they "need" it and if they come to visit, they plan the trips so that we have to pay their way home. Hubby has been telling them not to come until they have extra money and are set. Needless to say they get pissed about this. I was soooo right not to have kids.
My boys have never asked me for money Sage.
Everyone is different.
I agree with your hubby if they cannot afford to come and visit, without borrowing, then it is best they don't.
Gosh, it is like paying for a visit!!!
That is not right.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top