Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Re: Question Time

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I feel towards the BNP as you all do but I did feel he was bullied and the whole programme was about having a snipe at him instead of having a normal Question Time programme where they all have a chance to say their bit. I felt very uncomfortable watching it.
I've noticed this too with the BBC, however I forgot this program was on last night, but some interviewers should get their knuckles rapped the way they conduct themselves IMO.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 04:14 PM

To be honest I think he had it way too easy.

You just can't hold the views he has and expect an easy ride. While everyone has the right to think or believe what they want, everyone else has a right to judge them on their views and treat them with the contempt they deserve if that's how they feel, and that's what you saw on QT.

His whole party has latched on to the immigration problem (which isn't only a problem in this country btw) and have used and twisted it to make people (foolishly) think it's a race issue. When it's not.

I agree immigration is messed up. I agree we need better control on the people we allow in, but I would never use race as a criteria, but more their attitudes and beliefs. I don't have issue with anyone of any race coming here (within capped sustainable limits of course) but I do have issue with people coming here not having the slightest inclination to want to integrate with the British people, learn the language, and hold backwards attitudes and beliefs - views that are not acceptable in a modern civilised society.

At the end of the day, they knew what this country was like before coming here - and if they don't like it, and have no intention of integrating, then why bother coming here in the first place!

The BNP is just using people who are frustrated with the immigration issue, people who end up unwittingly giving them support for the wrong reasons.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 05:14 PM

I`m totally against the BNP and their racist views but I don`t like having to censor what I write, do or think in case some PC fanatic is offended.
I was once told I could not do a scene from Bugsy Malone with my class of disabled adults because it wasn`t `age appropriate`.
My friend was prevented from using the Three Little Pigs in her playgroup in case it offended non-pork eaters.
Our Council gives nothing to local arts groups but is funding a month-long `ethnic culture festival`.
The BNP doesn`t need to go on question time. The Establishment is doing their job for them.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 08:49 PM

I agree with what Claireandaisy says-disappointed with format of last night's QT-think it would have been interesting to hear what the BNP's stand is on things such as Health, Education, Postal Service etc. etc. Totally against what the BNP stands for.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2009, 12:58 PM

What's the saying about those who don't know history being doomed to repeat it?

How the BBC can give this toad airtime and then make such a horlicks of it that he appears victimised is beyond me.

And how people of our age can't, if not remember, then at least have regard for, the recent past, then heaven help us all. My parents lost their teenage to Hitler and his bnp-alike filth and my dad had his final years haunted by things he had seen and done when actually in service against it.

None of the above says that our tiny island can or should acommodate anyone who wishes to come, but that is another matter.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2009, 04:58 PM

It's all spin now - he made a complete and utter fool of himself, what did he expect when he refused to answer questions and just skirt and smirk, for people to just let him off the hook? Any politician to appear on the show to do the same would have got the exact same treatment - the only difference is this guy continually made a shambles so continually got picked up on. Oh the poor victim

I hope the majority of people are not falling for his BS!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

24-10-2009, 05:08 PM

I was once told I could not do a scene from Bugsy Malone with my class of disabled adults because it wasn`t `age appropriate`.
My friend was prevented from using the Three Little Pigs in her playgroup in case it offended non-pork eaters.
Our Council gives nothing to local arts groups but is funding a month-long `ethnic culture festival`.
The BNP doesn`t need to go on question time. The Establishment is doing their job for them.
Just want to quickly comment on this. I used to think the same, but after having listened to people speak about why this is done, I've changed my mind.

These efforts are positive thing, they are a gesture to encourage participation. But all too often the media report this as offence or causing offence

If it happened all the time, I would probably think different but as it is it shows we are a considerate, civilised society - and we should be proud of that

Of course that doesn't mean we should always be the ones doing the giving, as I said in a previous post - people shouldn't come to this country if they don't like what the country stands for, have no intention of learning the language or integrating!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have said he was bullied I don't really know much about politics. I certainly wouldn't vote for them anyway.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top