Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Re: The PMs Speech

I listened to Newsnight last night and yet again the interviewing of Evan Davis came across to me as less than impartial, I think he must be pro remain.

As I see it we are leaving a club , anyone can choose to leave a club once they have joined and found it to be unsatisfactory. That is what we are doing and there should be no animosity from anyone.

If the club and the person leaving have a mutual interest for example they both purchase goods from each other there is no reason why that shouldn't continue if both parties wish it to be so and why wouldn't they.

A little common sense is needed, it would be nonsense for one side to introduce tariffs on trade, the other side would retaliate and they would cancel each other out leading to a lot of unnecessary paper work and costs on both sides.
Unlike a new person joining the club, we already share the same standards on goods we sell and purchase, they are I understand enshrined in our laws now. This should make any transition on trading goods comparatively simple.

I really think some people are making things far more complicated they need to be.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Hi

I disagree Meg, it is very complicated but it is not impossible to sort out, we just need to get on with the technicalities now to make it as painless as possible.

An example of the technicalities, the EU not only has Import tariffs, it has schedules of how much it will take at a certain tariff rate, above which, the tariff changes.

We need to sort this out before we leave and agree it with our trading partners, for example Chinese Steel, New Zealand Lamb, Korean Electronics.

The EU will also have to agree it as well.

Not impossible, but for example, France will be trying to dump as much New Zealand lamb on us as possible, simply to protect their own farmers.

The same will apply to Germany and Krupps Steel.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I cannot help but think approaching the negotiations by getting up the collective noses of the 27 remaining EU countries is not a good idea. Especially as we will be in a position of weakness unless the kamikaze option, to satisfy the headbangers and foreign/tax exile owned Right wing press, is pursued, when weakness doesn't really matter.
I don't believe TM is approaching the negotiations "by getting up the collective noses of the 27 remaining EU countries".
Far from it! her speech was completely forthright and exactly that which the people who voted to leave wished to hear. After the dog's dinner, begging for scraps, humiliation Call-Me-Dave heaped upon this country with his "by not getting up the noses of the 27 remaining EU countries"stance, look where that got him and us.

We are not the underdog and we should not act like one.

She has told them what our government and the people want - Out of the EU, no further freedom of movement, restoration of our own Laws and a trade agreement that is free and fair. That is certainly not what Brussels are so fond of stating - Cherry-picking. It is asserting our terms crystal clear at the forthcoming negotiations.

She has informed the EU what Britain wants in the A50 negotiations. Time now for the leaders of 20 out of 27 EU countries to be sensible and work towards an agreement that will suit both.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I don't believe TM is approaching the negotiations "by getting up the collective noses of the 27 remaining EU countries".
Far from it! her speech was completely forthright and exactly that which the people who voted to leave wished to hear. After the dog's dinner, begging for scraps, humiliation Call-Me-Dave heaped upon this country with his "by not getting up the noses of the 27 remaining EU countries"stance, look where that got him and us.

She has told them what our government and the people want - Out of the EU, no further freedom of movement, restoration of our own Laws and a trade agreement that is free and fair. That is certainly not what Brussels are so fond of stating - Cherry-picking. It is asserting our terms crystal clear at the forthcoming negotiations.

She has informed the EU what Britain wants in the A50 negotiations. Time now for they to be sensible and work towards an agreement that will suit both.
I agree SG I think TM is doing a good job particularly considerating the pile of poo her male predecessor left for her , I don't know what more she could do at this stage.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:44 PM

"Give us a good deal or we walk" That's just daft, they're going to laugh and say, " Go on then" I thought we were "walking" anyway.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

She has informed the EU what Britain wants in the A50 negotiations. Time now for the leaders of 20 out of 27 EU countries to be sensible and work towards an agreement that will suit both.
So you believe every Leave voter realised they were voting for a hard brexit with all the risk and uncertainty that entailed?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 01:10 PM

I prefer the word "challenge" rather than risk.

I suspect most leavers feel that we have to get out of this swamp and work on from there.

People who achieve the most, in this world, are often the ones who take risks and deal with uncertainties.

Those who discovered far flung countries of the world, despite being told firmly that the world was flat, are a great example.

I voted leave and I am well aware of the challenges - Bring it on!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree SG I think TM is doing a good job particularly considerating the pile of poo her male predecessor left for her , I don't know what more she could do at this stage.
Hi

On that we can agree.

After Blair, Brown and then the dastardly duo of Cameron and Osbourne selling us down the line, she has a mountain to climb.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
"Give us a good deal or we walk" That's just daft, they're going to laugh and say, " Go on then" I thought we were "walking" anyway.
No they won't. They can't.

And if they did, and we did walk, it wouldn't be long before they came crawling back to us.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

18-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I really think some people are making things far more complicated they need to be.
Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
I disagree Meg, it is very complicated but it is not impossible to sort out, we just need to get on with the technicalities now to make it as painless as possible.
That's fine Gibbs disagree all you want, I didn't say it wasn't complicated but that some people are making it more complicated than it needs to be and I suspect that to be the case because some people want our departure to fail.

Many things in life are complicated but if people have the will to succeed anything is possible .

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top