Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 02:01 AM

Don't Look Now reviewed by Mark Kermode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...e-silent-movie

Mark discusses the rerelease, this week, of Nic Roeg's "Don't Look Now" towards the end of the clip. Patently, he considers the work a masterpiece and, having seen the film at the cinema originally, in 1973, and many times on video since, I wouldn't disagree with him.

What surprised me was that he mentioned that "Don't Look Now" was originally released with a cut-down "The Wicker Man" as the "B" feature. Now I don't remember seeing both together but I must have done because that accounts for my memory of the cinema "Wicker Man" being very much a "B" feature but later (unedited) video viewings being very much more impressive.

"Don't Look Now" is being reissued on DVD as well as receiving limited distribution at cinemas so I'll probably acquire a digital copy. I may even couple it with a new version of "Wicker Man" for the full cinematic memory-lane experience .....

1973 was quite a good year for movies:

The Exorcist, American Graffiti, Papillon, The Wicker Man, The Sting, High Plains Drifter, Don't Look Now, Serpico, Westworld, Mean Streets, Soylent Green, Badlands, Paper Moon, Magnum Force, Day for Night, Electra Glide in Blue, Charley Varrick, The Offence and The Friends of Eddie Coyle are just some that I can recall .....
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 06:44 AM

Re: Don't Look Now reviewed by Mark Kermode

I saw DLN in 1973, it was a masterpiece but there was no "B movie" with it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Yep good suspenseful film

Bought the DVD some years ago to watch it because we had booked to see a theatre production of Don't Look Now.
Also I've been to Venice many times which is where the film is set so was interesting to see it then and now.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep good suspenseful film

Bought the DVD some years ago to watch it because we had booked to see a theatre production of Don't Look Now.
Also I've been to Venice many times which is where the film is set so was interesting to see it then and now.
I visited Venice in 1964 so the city in the film was identical to the one I visited, which looked like this:

..... no huge cruise ships .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top