Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2016, 12:25 PM

Re: April 1

You can get good political spoof stories all year in The Daily Mash and similar.

I've never 'got' the April Fools idea. If you do it against one person you are deliberately trying to make a fool of them, which seems more bullying than humour to me. News media doing it (on the news pages, not magazine/fun stuff) just seems a real waste of resources and also disrespecful to their readers/viewers.

I think I've got a sense of humour for 364 and a half days; I just can't summon any enthusiasm for the anachronistic half day. Anyway - it's over now, thank goodness
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Another one who reckons that people who don't share the same sense of humour as themselves must have no sense of humour. Personally I laugh at things that I find funny not necessarily things that some others find funny.............nothing wrong with that I reckon !

Oh dear, I hope you are not one of those people who roar with laughter at slapstick or watching people slip over on a banana skin !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
You can get good political spoof stories all year in The Daily Mash and similar.

I've never 'got' the April Fools idea. If you do it against one person you are deliberately trying to make a fool of them, which seems more bullying than humour to me. News media doing it (on the news pages, not magazine/fun stuff) just seems a real waste of resources and also disrespecful to their readers/viewers.

I think I've got a sense of humour for 364 and a half days; I just can't summon any enthusiasm for the anachronistic half day. Anyway - it's over now, thank goodness
dinah, I wouldn't think people are deliberately trying to make a fool out of people. April Fool's day is just a tradition and most people take it for what it is....just a bit of fun! To read into it so deeply as to make it a form of bullying is unfair to those who just want to cheer others up.
I must be a real bully to have posted an April Fool's thread but l was sussed out straight away...so l was the fool!
I was an even bigger fool to post a pic of me with my new grown beard. That won't last half a day as l have decided to keep it and join the circus!!
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Hear, hear, Artangel, it is JUST A BIT OF FUN ! We need stuff like that to try to offset all the terrible things that are depressing, throughout the world. Life's too short.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 11:27 AM

My OP specifically referred to news outlets putting April Fools on their front page/in news broadcasts.

364 and a half days you can't find a good news story for love nor money; they relentlessly feed us doom and gloom and always look on the dark side stories. They don't need to do that, there are good news stories.

Then, for half a day, they turn their considerable resources to concocting "fun". Doesn't suit me, doesn't amuse me. Bah humbug and all that.

Art's beard - very good. I did enjoy that

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top