Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Re: Are all handguns and firearms really banned in the UK?

I can't for life of me see why anyone needs a gun, if they do I'd suggest they move to a better area.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
A shot gun,if licensed and securely stored,is OK. An air gun is fine-but here a `real gun` is a total no no.
When I was young I had a .22 target rifle. I had to keep it locked up at home and keep the bolt separately. I was a member of a bona fide target shooting club.

Another member had a .22 target pistol.

This was all acceptable although, of course, this was in pre-terrorist days.

Actually, I'd be surprised if target rifles and pistols aren't still held legally by some in this country.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I honestly cannot see any reason why anyone, general public that is, should or want to carry/own a firearm. If they have one then the first thing that will be used is the gun and more than likely kill someone possibly an innocent passer by.

It is about time the USA constitution was altered banning all sorts of firearms carried owned by the general public then people would be that much safer walking the streets. There is absolutely no need for them or justification even to own one

Interested to know how you would set about collecting 300 million guns.
Ask nicely? Maybe the law abiding citizens would comply ( that's a very big maybe). That would leave only the criminals with guns.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Ask nicely? Maybe the law abiding citizens would comply ( that's a very big maybe). That would leave only the criminals with guns.
The Yanks have had the right to bear arms ever since cowboy days. It has been so well established for so long that I can't imagine it ever changing now.

In addition to that, I get the impression that most of them still think they are cowboys and it's still the wild west.

I'm surprised that they don't still ride horses and go to saloons with double swing doors. Many of them seem to wear cowboy hats, though.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Where do you live Linda?

America? Canada?

Where is Nowheresville?

Why in heaven's name would you want to buy a gun to bring to the UK?

Are you visiting?

Who are you intending to shoot?
First of all, thanks for all the answers, they're very much appreciated.

Now, Ruthio... where on EARTH did you get the impression that I'm purchasing a gun to bring to the UK??????

I'm completely baffled by how you're assuming this. And if I were planning to shoot someone (which I am NOT) do you honestly think I'd post it on a public discussion board?

I live in the US, in the Midwest, Columbus, Ohio.

For those who can't understand why anyone would want to own a gun, I completely get how you feel about that. I used to feel the same way. But in the gun-slingin' USA - and with all the crime that's going on around here - without a gun, you're a sitting duck. Every state is different. But in Ohio, you don't need a permit or a license to purchase a firearm, just a background check. You do, however, need a license to carry it with you. It requires 8 hours of classroom time and 2 hours range time before you're awarded a license to carry the gun on your person or in your car. If you're caught carrying a gun away from your home without a license, you're in deep doo-doo.

The violence and crime here is ridiculous. Every day I hear more stories about gun violence and just yesterday in our city, a police officer was injured (although he's lucky because many of them are killed) when he tried to stop a carjacker. He tried to get the man out of the car he was stealing and the man decided to hit the gas and took off in the car, dragging the police officer with him. The cop had no choice but to pull his weapon and fire. Bam, one less cretin in the world. Bye-bye, you won't be missed.

That's a tiny example of what we hear every day on the news. And Summer is right, Chicago is bad. Every single day and night in that city someone dies from gun violence. Not just someone... lots of people.

As to what realspeed said about banning guns... you can't do that. And I'll tell you why. Do you realize what would happen if all guns were banned and taken away from the "general public?" Just think about that for a moment. Criminals will find a way to get guns. They always do. If you take guns away from the average law-abiding citizen, you're basically handing them their death sentence. Criminals will then rejoice, knowing the average citizen isn't armed, and all hell would break loose with people's cars being stolen, houses broken into, women being raped (more women than ever carry guns now) crime crime crime against the average guy would skyrocket because the criminals would know we have no way of protecting ourselves.

It's too late for that now. It's already out of control. And if someone would break into my house to harm my family, they're history.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Ask nicely? Maybe the law abiding citizens would comply ( that's a very big maybe).
LOL, not gonna happen.

That would leave only the criminals with guns.
Bingo! Thank you.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-04-2017, 12:12 PM

In all fairness, I can see both sides of this.

I would be in favour of people without any criminal record being allowed to own a handgun provided it is kept completely within their own home for the purposes of self-protection.

If someone breaks into your home and you feel threatened by them, especially if they are carrying any sort of weapon, you should be legally entitled to shoot them in self defence. If they break into your home, they deserve all they get.

Needless to say, if you have a criminal record there is no way you should have the legal right to possess a firearm, ever.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Well, how about getting the criminals to hand their weapons in first, then the good guys wouldn't need one. Job done...
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2017, 12:30 PM

I know you may not believe this. I once fired a service pistol,blank ammo of course. It belonged to the father of my,and hers,`first time`

Last I heard Christine wished me well and said she was happy but an autistic son was not easy. I should have stopped with a blank?? Chris had a very strange sense of humour.
Linda0818
USA

28-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In all fairness, I can see both sides of this.

I would be in favour of people without any criminal record being allowed to own a handgun provided it is kept completely within their own home for the purposes of self-protection.

If someone breaks into your home and you feel threatened by them, especially if they are carrying any sort of weapon, you should be legally entitled to shoot them in self defence. If they break into your home, they deserve all they get.

Needless to say, if you have a criminal record there is no way you should have the legal right to possess a firearm, ever.
Completely agree with this. I think too many guns are falling into the hands of the wrong people. And I don't mean the criminals. They'll always find guns on the streets. I mean gun ownership is being awarded to people who probably shouldn't own a firearm because the rules aren't strict enough.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Well, how about getting the criminals to hand their weapons in first, then the good guys wouldn't need one. Job done...
Haha! That'll never happen.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top