Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 11:35 AM

Re: Are European Countries losing their Identity?

Agreeing with Realist , totally. The whole thing was designed to be that way. Take away the identity and culture of each country . Take away the ability to even think for ourselves, encourage the theory that politicians should be wholly responsible for all things, and educate the young students in their universities about Europe as a whole ,and how good it is. Brain wash them with the promise of jobs abroad and high powered promotions in the EU. This has been happening since the early 2000's when Blair made an almighty push for EU integration.
It would be interesting to know who wrote the rules and whose identity each European country is encouraged to mimic. It's been destruction at it's best !

There have been far too many cock-ups made by far too many people in years gone , individuals who think they know the answer to all things for all of us.

Here is another major example. I don't much like George Galloway, but there is no denying he knows his history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JInrihYqg
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 01:05 PM

This is an interesting thread, because there must have been a lengthy time in the last century when every accent you heard in many jobs in the UK was Irish. Boarding houses would have "no blacks, no irish" signs up. Was that down to the EU too?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Hi

Far too many conspiracy theories around.

Immigration is a massive issue here in the UK, it has grown significantly in the last 15 years.

Most of the Immigration is from outside the EU, where there is no freedom of movement., so absolutely nothing to do with Merkel or Juncker.

We have not taken a single one of the Migrants Merkel encouraged to come to Europe.

Those which have managed to get past our Border Controls, sadly diminished by Theresa May, we choose not to send back to France.

We have no one to blame except ourselves.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Isn’t this all about change, evolution, progress even and that things can’t stay the same forever?
Tis true ... they don't. Any immigration will alter the atmosphere or character to a degree but it depends on who 'absorbs' who.
Too many immigrants who arrive like a tidal wave are bound to alter the very fabric of a place. Either you get insular ghettoes with limited wholesale impact or you dilute the stats quo.

If you just drink coffee it tastes like coffee .. if you add a spoonful of cocoa or a teabag or a shot of scotch to it you have to wait to see which floats to the top and dominates. Hopefully it isn't scum that floats to the top.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Shroppy, I understand exactly how you feel. I have visited a lot of countries, many of which were European, that have lost their original culture and it is sad.
The EU have maybe contributed to this, but I feel that we globe trotters have made it worse because we try to take the bits we like from each country and move it to another.... things like food, wines, traditions!

I have had roast beef and Yorkshire pud, or fish and chips in many countries... but it is never as good as it is in Britain. Pizza and pasta never tastes as good here as it does in Italy...and the same applies to other countries foods.

I do think countries are losing their identity, just like villages and counties have already lost a lot of theirs. If humans survive that long then I suspect that countries will also lose identity and we will all become just "earth dwellers". Where will we go then, to find new places with different things?
Will it be moons or other planets and become aliens there, or will humans become extinct?

Human greed and lack of respect for the good things we had is what has caused this!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 02:37 PM

The final nail in the coffin will come when the EU gets its own army.
Being an ex delivery driver all around London I can say we have probably the biggest multi cultural city in the world. The areas taken over by all these different cultures is really quite shocking when you come to think about it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:30 PM

Art, Unfortunately the coach trip was to Dublin only. They could have travelled to Kerry or Limerick where most of our relatives hail from, but it would have taken too long. My brother has visited Dublin quite a few times and thoroughly enjoyed the Irish way, but he was visibly shocked when describing how it is now. With respect to those lovely people, he said it was as though he was visiting Poland rather than Ireland.

Of course, no-one lives in a bubble where Immigration is concerned, he was just so shocked and disappointed at the loss of all he had known about Ireland. The same with Munich.
LOL. He was even more disappointed when he came down to breakfast, looking forward to that world-renowned Irish breakfast which usually consisted of Irish Sausage, Bacon, Egg, Black Pud, White Pud, Fried Potatoes with Tomatoes or Beans, Soda Bread and real Irish Butter, to find instead only Continental breakfast consisting of orange juice, cereal, fruit, hard boiled cold eggs, Ham, insipid tasting cheese, croissants and rolls and butter in individual wrappings. (which he hates). I had to laugh and tell him he had forgotten Ireland is European now. Those days of the yummy Irish breakfast akin to the great English Breakfast, are long gone!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Well, they don't traditionally have croissants, orange juice or cereal for breakfast in Poland either ...it seems they just want to save time, money and effort on cooking. Or there just wasn't enough demand for the fry ups.

Those lovely people will lose their foreign accents with the next generation if they end up putting down roots in Ireland. They will integrate and intermarry as ex servicemen/women did post WWII in the UK.

London has always been a melting pot, but most immigrants aren't from the EU.

Without migration we'd never be eating Pizza, Indian food, Thai, Chinese, Greek, kebabs, etc. We would never have tasted a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee in a coffee house instead of the instant pretend stuff I grew up on. Greasy spoons and Wimpeys are all I remember. Now there is a massive choice of world cuisine everywhere. We still can't get it right with the wine, but at least it's not just Thunderbird, Liebfraumilch or Pink Lady.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well, they don't traditionally have croissants, orange juice or cereal for breakfast in Poland either ...it seems they just want to save time, money and effort on cooking. Or there just wasn't enough demand for the fry ups.

Those lovely people will lose their foreign accents with the next generation if they end up putting down roots in Ireland. They will integrate and intermarry as ex servicemen/women did post WWII in the UK.

London has always been a melting pot, but most immigrants aren't from the EU.

Without migration we'd never be eating Pizza, Indian food, Thai, Chinese, Greek, kebabs, etc. We would never have tasted a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee in a coffee house instead of the instant pretend stuff I grew up on. Greasy spoons and Wimpeys are all I remember. Now there is a massive choice of world cuisine everywhere. We still can't get it right with the wine, but at least it's not just Thunderbird, Liebfraumilch or Pink Lady.
You forgot Blue Nun!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 08:57 PM

I’m wondering, if we are just old fuddy duddies and can’t accept change?

I am thinking of when we were younger. How many of us went back packing through many countries and landed in a country that we liked and got a job? Not many, l imagine?!
Whereas today, many young people take time out and go off and travel to places we would never have dared to tread. Many find work there.

These days, most of the world is open to all. Travelling to obscure places is easier.

How many British people, have uprooted and chased the sun and settled in these warmer climates? Lots!

I think some of us live in a time warp where time has stood still and we won’t accept change.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top