Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Re: driveway cleaned

Carol

now the hard work is done and just got the sand to put down, next time in will be easier and quicker. I don't thing any previous owners bothered much about house maintenance let alone drives and pathways
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 01:20 PM

It's a big driveway - I expect the sand will wash away every time you give it a pressure wash and need re doing. (or will it?)

Good thing you're a fit man RS.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 09:40 PM

Spoke to my neighbour today about that and he just goes over his every couple of years or when it needs doing
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-01-2015, 02:19 PM

Started sanding the joints on the drive and it is killing me. So far I used 4 bags on it and still got a bit more to do for the first covering. Then it started to rain and putting down this kiln dried sand should be done in the dry not this time of year, so it is twice as hard. it will need going over at least once more.

Total time on the front drive so far nearly 10 hours and still a little more to do
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Started sanding the joints on the drive and it is killing me. So far I used 4 bags on it and still got a bit more to do for the first covering. Then it started to rain and putting down this kiln dried sand should be done in the dry not this time of year, so it is twice as hard. it will need going over at least once more.

Total time on the front drive so far nearly 10 hours and still a little more to do
Gosh it's so time consuming RS! Sounds like you're making a great job of it though. Your wife is a lucky lady
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just spent last five and a half hours pressure washing the front drive. Getting the moss out of the joints took the time and still got a couple of dark areas

May I make a suggestion?

Get loads of cheap table salt or, better still, a BIG bag of Rock Salt.
Mix a strong solution in a weed killer watering can and water the whole of your drive ensuring all the gaps get a liberal dose.
It'll kill off most weed seeds before they even get started.

I'd then add kiln-dried sand and sweep it in but I wouldn't do it in the winter.

In case you are wondering, Weed Killer's no good in Winter as the weeds have to be active and for that they need it warmer!

We have block paving everywhere where I work and it's a nightmare for weeds since someone use a pressure washer everywhere and left it all exposed to weeds so I salted all the worst bits but they won't buy the sand at work - too expensive they say!

They coughed up for the 30+ litres of weed killer I ended using last year but I'll try some more salting as soon as I can.

Did you use the gadget that looks like an iron?

That's the best way as a lance can destabilise block paving. stevmk2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Won't use salt as we have a dog and salt is bad for their feet. The bricks as supposed to be porous so sealing them is not an option.

Spoken to several people who do this as a profesion and ,apart from the wrong time of year, I am doing it properly. The only reason doing it now is because I am fed up with looking at moss and weeds in paving brick joints that have not been done for years

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top