Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Please help get me organised! :)

I worked full time until the summer and (lucky me I know) I had a cleaning lady then. Unfortunately with the drop in income (I only work two afternoons now and get a small pension) I had to let her go to save money. I was sad mostly because she had become a friend. However she had plenty of notice and was able to find more work.

My problem is this - I must be a lazy so and so. I never seem to get my house clean and I don't seem to have a proper system. The hoover is very heavy (why didn't she tell me - I would have replaced it) and I find it difficult to use. Some things I can't seem to do without making a mess of them (like windows).

Someone told me that they do a room a day or a job a day. Others say they have cleaning days or they do upstairs one day etc - what do you do?

Please give me some tips on how I can organise myself and clean efficiently - or quick, easy and effective ways of cleaning stuff.

Now, instead of mopping the floor, I think I'll just wait here and see if I get any replies (told you I was lazy) ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 03:57 PM

Re: Please help get me organised! :)

You need a system you can do without it feeling like too much hard work. I would suggest if you live alone one good clean a week should be enough, with a little dash round with a damp cloth mid week.

The hoover if it's too heavy will put you off using it, so may be best to swap it for something easier.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:04 PM

Dust around while listening to your favourite music.
Buy a lightweight hoover.
Set yourself a target of 1 hr a day to do your housework.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Dust around while listening to your favourite music.
Buy a lightweight hoover.
Set yourself a target of 1 hr a day to do your housework.
Great suggestions and do put the radio on, you'll enjoy the housework more
kittylion
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks Julie and Susie - I don't live alone I have my two grown-up sons with me still who are very messy - in fact I refuse to even go into their rooms lol. I think you are right about the hoover though - pity as money is tight, but I will have a look round.

Any more suggestions (both on organisation and types of hoover) very welcome!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:20 PM

We bought an Argos Hoover recently, its very lightweight and is a little gem.
Its VC 06E at £34.99
kittylion

02-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Ooh Patsy, thank you - could you tell me if it is easy to empty too?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
Ooh Patsy, thank you - could you tell me if it is easy to empty too?
Its very easy - open the flap, take out the bag - done !
You get 3 bags with it - then packs of 5 - they are cheap too !
It also has a cord rewind - its not over noisy either - I love it
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Clean the bathroom before you get in the shower each day, easy and quick if done regularly.
Windows?? I'm not good at windows so use a Karcher, only do 'em when they really need it!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 04:42 PM

I use one of these, not the expensive model, paid around £40, it's ultra lightweight and suction is great, just slide out the lower side compartment to empty it, simples

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top