Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:14 AM

Re: Your sporting story

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I played AFL in school and i was never a star. I was described by my peers as a "useful utility player" Jack of all position, master of none. I did kick the winning goal in one interdisrict final though. I love cricket but i was only good at close in fielding...slips, gully, short leg and other short spots. Surfing was my main love and i came second in an under 16s competition in Perth.Thats it.
Nice Keezoy! I know you’re a surfer but I didn’t know that you won a surfing competition! How awesome
All this talk of surfing makes me miss the ocean again. It’s my favourite place to be. By the way- you would love SA beaches - surfing is awesome here
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Glad you appreciate cricket Keezoy! It's my favourite sport of all time. To me it's like chess on grass!
This bloke isn't real but I wrote it for my school magazine back in 1957.

In Praise of Blenkinsop.

Here was a man who played bad cricket.
Bowled short wides, ne’er took a wicket.
Dropped slip catches, always a ‘duck’
Never an ‘eye’ so he trusted luck.

Now his playing days are gone,
Struck by a drive at Silly Mid On,
Caught it with his senseless head,
And fell upon the pitch- Quite dead!

Blenkinsop’s life had come to an end.
He left directions in care of a friend,
Long and involved , but the basis of which-
“To be buried at ‘Lords’ in the centre of pitch.
To be lowered by men, all of whom shall love cricket,
So that I can assist to grow grass on the wicket”
That’s a great write up Ciderman
Nice play on words thanks for sharing!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
Well, I'm not so sure about my natural athletic ability nor about being an allrounder. As a boy I tended not to be that athletic tbh. My mum noticed that and encouraged me and my twin brother to do some sport. Because she'd liked it as a girl she suggested swimming. So we joined that local club. After two years it turned out that we could reasonably swim the four strokes but didn't get better at a certain point. So there was a push and a pull to leave the training centre and start looking elsewhere. Since there was a tennis club near our home my mother again suggested joining that because she'd always wanted to play it herself. It was one of the best decisions in my life and an eye-opener in many respects. I played in different regional leagues and tournaments but never won one.
At the age of 15 I had realised that a good physical condition would be helpful but that was something that didn't seem to develop naturally. So I bought myself an expander (there were no health clubs back then in the late 60s, early 70s, were there?) and exercised daily and I also took up running. Within a year my PE teacher noticed improvements and so did I. I could walk on my hands and do a proper handstand and other things which prompted my PE teacher to invite me to a gym team but I declined and stuck to tennis.
Have been jogging ever since I was 15 (no more than 10km and mostly between 3 and 5km) but regularly as clockwork at least once or twice a week until today no matter what the circumstances were or where I was . As a retiree I do sports almost every day.
Dachs thanks for sharing. I swim everyday in spring and summer - great exercise!

Racquet sports - I loved tennis but it didn’t pan out for me. It’s a rather embarrassing story but highlights the importance of a ‘proper’ coach.

I was 8 years old and from the little I’d gleaned from the telly, tennis looked like fun and something I would have enjoyed. Our school had just had tennis courts installed. All the kids wanted to be in the Tennis team. So our PE teacher decided to test anyone who wanted to play to gauge who had talent to be developed…

One key point in this little story is that the coach didn’t take the time to explain the rules of the game. We were just given a bat and asked to ‘play’! Having ZERO understanding of what was required of me, I didn’t serve into the designated area. My ‘serve’ was always wide how on Earth was I to know where to serve !

Anyway, the result was that I was overlooked for the Tennis club. One of my biggest regrets I play if we go to a resort but I’ve never been coached- maybe I should add it to my bucket list.

With my son, I’ve done many sports because I’m mom and dad so we play squash but he’s a demon on the court. I practiced his soccer, cricket, rugby and hockey with him - I didn’t want him to miss out.

I really want to learn to ride a bicycle though- perhaps this summer!

I enjoy my run on the treadmill usually 3-5km is good for me.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I was very fast over the first 15 metres but after that I had to stand and fight! I got into gymnastics and even had a girlfriend who was into it,
Wonderful memories Ciderman
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Nice Keezoy! I know you’re a surfer but I didn’t know that you won a surfing competition! How awesome
All this talk of surfing makes me miss the ocean again. It’s my favourite place to be. By the way- you would love SA beaches - surfing is awesome here
Thanx Minx. It was only a teens local beaches contest. But at 15 it was still pretty exciting. I know surfing is big in SA. Had a mate from Durban back then. He was a "supergrommet"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:40 PM

My one moment of sporting glory.

I loved playing football when I was at school or at least I liked the idea of it. I could see what needed to be done but due to a knee injury from when I was little, I was never really any good at it.

Anyway, for some reason, I was put into the school football team, (I still don't know why). My first match against another school and I was a defender. I spent most of the first half just chatting to our goalie (who also should not have been in the team) but eventually one of their players came at me with the ball and I managed to pull off my greatest tackle of all time.

Now with the ball in my possession, I toe punted it as hard as I possible could up the pitch and guess what? No one spotted it, including their goal keeper and it went straight in the net without touching another player. I was so pleased but the pleasure didn't last very long..... we lost 7-1.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My one moment of sporting glory.

I loved playing football when I was at school or at least I liked the idea of it. I could see what needed to be done but due to a knee injury from when I was little, I was never really any good at it.

Anyway, for some reason, I was put into the school football team, (I still don't know why). My first match against another school and I was a defender. I spent most of the first half just chatting to our goalie (who also should not have been in the team) but eventually one of their players came at me with the ball and I managed to pull off my greatest tackle of all time.

Now with the ball in my possession, I toe punted it as hard as I possible could up the pitch and guess what? No one spotted it, including their goal keeper and it went straight in the net without touching another player. I was so pleased but the pleasure didn't last very long..... we lost 7-1.
An epic experience Longdogs.

Thanks for sharing
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:39 PM

Minx wrote

Racquet sports - I loved tennis but it didn’t pan out for me. It’s a rather embarrassing story but highlights the importance of a ‘proper’ coach.
That's a bit odd, indeed. I must say, however, that I didn't have a proper couch either. We just learnt by observing others and informed ourselves about the rules. It was sort of expected.
Riding a bicycle is great fun. I should have mentioned that I have been doing that since I was a boy and somehow took for granted that everyone can do it...
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 06:17 AM

Upps, I meant coach of course...
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

26-07-2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
Minx wrote

That's a bit odd, indeed. I must say, however, that I didn't have a proper couch either. We just learnt by observing others and informed ourselves about the rules. It was sort of expected.
Riding a bicycle is great fun. I should have mentioned that I have been doing that since I was a boy and somehow took for granted that everyone can do it...
1. My parents couldn’t afford to buy one
2. In my culture, girls were not permitted to ride bicycles on the streets - my parents were VERY strict

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top