Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:26 PM

Re: Why do we judge

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But what is the per capita cost of providing hard copies of books plus costs of the library itself to include staffing, heating, insurances etc? Hard copies of books can be rented by mail so a library is an expensive thing indeed.

Other facilities that some libraries provide such as internet access should be delivered by the town hall if there is a call for it. Libraries are very much yesterday and with the ubiquitous net an unaffordable and unnecessary thing.
It’s a pity TAT. I for one love libraries. There’s just something about the pin drop silence and the rows and rows of books just waiting to transport you somewhere far away.

I spent hours in the library as a kid. My nose was always in books. I’d hate to think that libraries are obsolete
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I would certainly want an entry fee to cover the costs of the places!
Think we're once again verging on the usual debate between knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:31 PM

It’s not the job that really matters, it’s the person behind the job. We all have to make a living.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:52 PM

This is a thread about judging the question 'what (job) do you do' and people are talking about books and libraries. Come on people, you've been members here long enough, keep the discussion on topic.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 03:57 PM

one of my jobs , after my children were at school, was a cleaner in a hospital, and one of the things my supervisor said to me was....don't let anyone here make you think that they're more important than you because you're a cleaner, because every job here is important, if it wasn't..it wouldn't be needed. Most of the jobs in a hospital, I couldn't do, but to make a hospital run smoothly, every job is important. so although I admire someone who has studied and has a brilliant career, I don't think that makes them a better person than anyone else
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Think we're once again verging on the usual debate between knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
The change of thread comments hey you that's my dept..

I did Love working in London back in human times..
Savile Row with all the action around that area of London..hey, the Police Station immediately opposite...not that I noticed any action When I looked out towards the window it was because there was a Large Mirror on the sill..Needed to check I looked passable...15 years old and so vain...
Depended back then as my aims were very different. Lunch break, Carnaby Street..in the Bakers in Winter Bread Roll Cup of Fresh Soup..loved Tomato soup then, dislike it now....
People and Places acting superior like our Head in the Forestry Commission.
Everybody thought he was the big bad wolf, I dont even remember him, just know I was quiet when warned.

I know when we broke down in Andorra and were having to stay extra time on the campsite, initially without a vehicle, people were real kind to us.
We found out one Guy and His Wife, he was an anesthetist and she was a surgeon, meet on the job.

.He told us beforehand as he had contracted Hepatitis caught via his job.,,

Still cannot remember if he had the B one or the C. He just wanted to warn us. The couple drove us about where ever we wanted or needed to go.

Then there was another Spanish Family and we use to often spend the evenings all together and boy did we change the world...

Never had any real thoughts on what people do or dont do...certainly makes no odd's to me..It is how your treated.

I know of one couple who had normal jobs hairdressing and started like my Husband, HGV Driver, then he got into Antiques, then delivering them to special well off people in Italy..

Then and then and then..He knows all the people with the fat wallets..extremely, very fat wallets..we heard it all from them. don't you come on back now..no way.....off my Xmas list.

.Think so money can make people different more than their jobs!!!
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 04:11 PM

Wakey wakey..was not that llloooonnggg
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 04:17 PM

It ain't what you do, its the way that you do it, that's what gets results.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

25-07-2021, 04:22 PM

Yes, Spiteful, very true..The Forestry Commission relied on me at their Country Fairs, they were good, got full pay as well if you attended them,,of course Sir I will be there with Rosi.....and all the different people all got along joggingly..

p.s. of course the beer tent was the moist popular please to Stall.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 04:41 PM

Some folks chase the easy money, like the Fad chasers (Entrepreneurs?), but there can be lean periods after a Fad has run its course, so, it could be argued that, over say a five year period, the Fad chaser might have grossed as much cash as a person working consistently full time, behind the counter at "Fads".

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top