Join for free
Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 08:38 AM

Re: Me, me, me.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Lots of people have mental health problems & I suspect that loneliness causes many of them.

I appreciate that many of you are joking on this thread, but if I was looking at this forum in the hope of finding friends to talk to, as I was lonely, comments on here would make me look elsewhere.
But if you had mental health problems, would you want a load of useless advise from people not qualified to give it?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yeah but I’m a little unusual.
We probably have more in common than you think then, Bratti.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think we need to look at this from both sides.

I talk to lots of people and give them lots of time but l don’t think it’s fair when a stranger takes advantage of your good nature and talks incessantly without a break for over an hour.

Surely a conversation is a type of ‘contract’ where two people should interact with each other on a bit of an equal basis?

The woman who spoke to me at the bus stop and then left her home town to continue her story to me on the bus about her ex husband and her son was a bit much.

I had no input in the conversation and if l did, she wasn’t interested and carried on with her own life story.

I think those who think we are mean, should look at both sides and have some sympathy for both.
Art i agree that you have to consider both people, but when you know there will always be people who can't stop talking I would always find a gentle way to stop the conversation on a bus, or go by car next time!
Try keeping a small book in your handbag, and when they won't stop talking say " Sorry I need to finish my book as the friend I am meeting wants it back today". It is only a small fib & shouldn't hurt the other persons feelings.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

26-07-2021, 08:56 AM

Try keeping a small book in your handbag, and when they won't stop talking say " Sorry I need to finish my book as the friend I am meeting wants it back today". It is only a small fib & shouldn't hurt the other persons feelings.
Is it feasible to keep an item in your handbag to help you deal with each and every conceivable unwelcome situation that might arise while you are out and about?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
But if you had mental health problems, would you want a load of useless advise from people not qualified to give it?
Lonely people are rarely looking for advice, they just want somebody to talk to!
By the time it becomes a mental health problem the qualified people they should talk to also have too little time.
All I am suggesting is that loneliness can be prevented from becoming a mental health problem if people spared a little time for those want to talk.
In hospital a few years ago the only other patient in my section was a lady with dementia, who had broken her hip & wanted to talk, so I talked to her for a couple of hours about things she remembered from the 50s & 60s. None of us know, but we could be in the same position one day, & would we want to be ignored?
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

26-07-2021, 09:17 AM

Lonely people are rarely looking for advice, they just want somebody to talk to!
By the time it becomes a mental health problem the qualified people they should talk to also have too little time.
All I am suggesting is that loneliness can be prevented from becoming a mental health problem if people spared a little time for those want to talk.
In hospital a few years ago the only other patient in my section was a lady with dementia, who had broken her hip & wanted to talk, so I talked to her for a couple of hours about things she remembered from the 50s & 60s. None of us know, but we could be in the same position one day, & would we want to be ignored?
Lovely post, Twink!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

26-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Is it feasible to keep an item in your handbag to help you deal with each and every conceivable unwelcome situation that might arise while you are out and about?
Harbal, if you want an argument or are trying to wind me up you are wasting your time because I walk away from those situations.
Anyway women have such large handbags these days, they could probably carry more than you would know!
Harbal
South Yorkshire

26-07-2021, 09:23 AM

Lonely people are rarely looking for advice,
That doesn't stop people from giving it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

26-07-2021, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Lovely post, Twink!
Thank you.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

26-07-2021, 09:27 AM

Harbal, if you want an argument or are trying to wind me up you are wasting your time because I walk away from those situations.
Don't worry about that, Twinkle, I've got loads of time since I retired.

Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top