Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 08:52 AM

Re: Ironing

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Ah, you've guessed my secret. I'm working on being immortal. The plans are going well, just got a few more wrinkles to iron out.....
Ha Ha

I am not working on being immortal I just can’t see any benefit in doing ironing . I don’t work live in the country so have no have no need .I hang my sheeting out to dry in the breeze so they don’t have many creases in them and anyway who cares they are bed linen ?????? If I want ironed sheets I would stay in a hotel .
The world will not stop if everyone stopped ironing !
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Ha Ha

I am not working on being immortal I just can’t see any benefit in doing ironing . I don’t work live in the country so have no have no need .I hang my sheeting out to dry in the breeze so they don’t have many creases in them and anyway who cares they are bed linen ?????? If I want ironed sheets I would stay in a hotel .
If everyone did stop ironing just think of the savings on electricity bills and how much that might help the environment. Perhaps we might even be able to drive our future 'electric' cars a few miles for free on what is saved!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I bet you're a proper dapper little chap, Zaphod.

Creases don't bother me, whereas ironing very much would.
Your wearing of creased clothing doesn't bother me Harbal, especially as I do not have to look at you.

I have more self-respect than to appear unkempt but if you would rather spend all your time and effort on a forum rather than spending a small portion of that upon your appearance that is your choice, and I suppose that at least by doing so you're decreasing the time inflicting your wrinkly-clothed appearance on others.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
If everyone did stop ironing just think of the savings on electricity bills and how much that might help the environment. Perhaps we might even be able to drive our future 'electric' cars a few miles for free on what is saved!
Ah but think of the mass unemployed of those workers that once made the irons.
The ironing businesses that would no longer exist and provide work.

Any way, surely dry cleaning uses far more resources and energy than ironing.
Why not stop all dry-cleaning instead?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Starch on bedsheets?
People iron their bedsheets?
You’re kidding?
Yawn!
I ‘m either really lazy or actually have a life.
Originally Posted by Muddy ->

I just can’t see any benefit in doing ironing . I don’t work live in the country so have no have no need .I hang my sheeting out to dry in the breeze so they don’t have many creases in them and anyway who cares they are bed linen ?????? If I want ironed sheets I would stay in a hotel .
I'm so glad to see there are others as sensible as I am on the matter of ironing. Why on earth do creases matter? I just chuck my washing over the handrail at the top of the stairs until it's dry, and then bung it away. The benefits of ironing are just a myth, perpetuated by the manufacturers of electrical goods. There are even studies that suggest wearing ironed clothes can lead to serious health problems. The mainstream media don't want you to know that, and that's why you never hear about it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Your wearing of creased clothing doesn't bother me Harbal,
You flatter yourself if you think I wear creased clothing just to bother you.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 11:24 AM

When I used to work, my wife and I would take it in turns to do the weekly ironing. She wasn't particularly enthusiastic about my ironing just the front and collars of my shirts (my view being that I'd never be taking off my jacket, so nobody would ever see the back).

Since retiring, we rarely iron anything other than for funerals and weddings.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

28-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
You flatter yourself if you think I wear creased clothing just to bother you.
As if!
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 12:38 PM

I have just ironed eight shirts, two pairs of trousers and will shortly be ironing the change of bedding.

Don't iron underwear, though.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 08:07 PM

Ah but think of the mass unemployed of those workers that once made the irons.
The ironing businesses that would no longer exist and provide work.
Similar comments were made about new technology replacing people, it was always "they will find work in the new technology industries". That does seem the case as the supporting industries were needed the same as they always are.

Any way, surely dry cleaning uses far more resources and energy than ironing.
Why not stop all dry-cleaning instead?
Why not ban everything? That's how it seems to be going these days. The economy is hardly in a good state what with coronavirus and before that, Brexit. Anyway with everything linked, no matter that it's in small ways, once those links are broken I reckon there will be many, many wider problems as a result. Like all this kind of thing, only time will tell.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top