Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Schools closing at the drop of a snowflake

I've just been reading that some schools have closed for a second day!

Where's the bulldog spirit gone? when I was at school in the 60s we had to go to school whatever the weather and I never knew either my primary school or grammar school to close due to snow and ice.

Even the severe winter of 62-63 our little school never closed. We all huddled around the Coke stove and carried on as usual.at that time everywhere was frozen from December and it didn't thaw until March.

We only had macs or a duffle coat and a pair of wellies, thermals didn't exist then nor big arctic puffa coats.

I know there will be people who will argue that schools don't want to be sued if a child has an accident but what's the difference between them and shopping centres, car parks and any other public place?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 01:30 PM

Re: Schools closing at the drop of a snowflake

The only time that we ever got out of going to school was if the bus did not turn up, did we pray that the snow was that bad it could not get through to us. I think in all the years i was at school we had about two days off.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Its ridiculous , next thing they will close them because its too hot. Just an excuse to have a day off. They have a caretaker , get him putting some sand on the playground. If traffic is a problem start school later in the morning.
my god what a lot of wimps .
Here the kids go to school whatever the weather, they have the right clothes and WEAR them. The young kindergarten ones all have a change of clothes at school for in school wear and also a set of clothes for wet weather or cold . They all have to play out unless the temp drops below -12c, then they can opt to stay in . They are not restricted in what they do at break times other than throwing snowballs is banned completely . They make slides , even down the school steps. Snow and ice does not stop the football.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:40 PM

The world's gone soft. I remember going to school during the winter of 62/63 when the snow came up to my middle and was made to traipse across the school playground in my shorts and wellies to the weather station to get temperature and barometer readings for a project we were doing. Some days, the boiler wasn't working because the coal wagons couldn't get through but still we had to go to school.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:41 PM

"Elf & safety brigade , In a word.
Tut,tut
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:48 PM

All the schools around here closed with the exception of the private schools who have boarders and can't close.
My grandchildren go to a private school and that stayed open but they were unable to get there because they live some distance away .

I can never remember my school in the Peak District closing when I was a child .Every winter seemed hard in those days. We walked to school a mile often across the fields wellingtons chaffing our legs and heels and hands sore with chilblains.

I guess most schools were local then so within reach of most children . A few children from the tiny villages were unable to get in. So many village schools have close, many children travel miles to get to school now.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:26 PM

I suspect it's all more to do with the cost of having the heating on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:32 PM

If a teacher or child were injured or killed on way to and from school we'd all say why did they open. They can't win either way.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:50 PM

Like others here, our school never closed either. I can remember walking to school in snow, ice, pouring rain, fog, hail & any combination. We were a tough lot in those days. Very little heating in school either. But then we also played outdoors in all weathers as well, in groups with friends or just two of us & sometimes alone. It was a different World then.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Hi

The issue locally is the the teachers, many live miles away and travel in.

What they forget are the effects on family finances by working mothers who have to take the time off to look after the kids.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top