Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 12:21 PM

Shredded Knees :)

This photo was sent to me recently by an old friend via Messenger. It was at his family home on the occasion of his little sister's christening. It isn't one I ever remember seeing before.
It made me giggle because I was reminded of the fact that, no matter what lovely clothes my mum dressed me in, she couldn't hide the fact that I was an unashamed tomboy whose legs were always as bruised and as battered as her brothers'.
Did anyone else here always wear the scars of a childhood climbing walls and trees?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_181953.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	15594  
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 12:29 PM

Re: Shredded Knees :)

What a lovely photograph Rhian
Your poor little knees

I used to like tree climbing but don't remember the scars..
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 12:34 PM

I had quite a few grazed knees, but my biggest risks were going as high as I could on my swing & then jumping off. I always landed on my feet but my mum hated me doing it, so the real pain was being told to go indoors & play with my dressing up dolls.
I soon learned to only jump off my swing when my mum wasn't in the kitchen, so couldn't see me doing it!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What a lovely photograph Rhian
Your poor little knees

I used to like tree climbing but don't remember the scars..
Thank you Meg

Don't anyone mention the Tefal head!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

22-05-2021, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I had quite a few grazed knees, but my biggest risks were going as high as I could on my swing & then jumping off. I always landed on my feet but my mum hated me doing it, so the real pain was being told to go indoors & play with my dressing up dolls.
I soon learned to only jump off my swing when my mum wasn't in the kitchen, so couldn't see me doing it!
I used to do that too Twink! But it was always in the park where my Mum couldn't see me doing it!
I remember I used to have a penchant for running up slippery slides the wrong way too!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 01:13 PM

Still have a scar on the sole of my left foot where I stood on a spike, a scar on my left knee where my brother stabbed me with a carving knife while acting the goat (something I've never let him forget ), a bullet sized hollow in my right buttock where I landed on another spike while re-enacting the recent episode of Batman at the pics (complete with duffle coat as a cape), and a two-inch scar on my head courtesy of a game of Murder Ball.

Picked up a few more in adulthood, but that's another story.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

22-05-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Still have a scar on the sole of my left foot where I stood on a spike, a scar on my left knee where my brother stabbed me with a carving knife while acting the goat (something I've never let him forget ), a bullet sized hollow in my right buttock where I landed on another spike while re-enacting the recent episode of Batman at the pics (complete with duffle coat as a cape), and a two-inch scar on my head courtesy of a game of Murder Ball.

Picked up a few more in adulthood, but that's another story.
Murder Ball?!!!!!
Ooh that's one I missed!
How do you play THAT? It sounds ace!

I used to do the duffel coat/anorak cape thing as well!
But I think I thought I was Superman!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Murder Ball?!!!!!
Ooh that's one I missed!
How do you play THAT? It sounds ace!

I used to do the duffel coat/anorak cape thing as well!
But I think I thought I was Superman!
It's an indeterminate number of players on each team, and you try and get a tennis ball from one end of a large playground to the other. The trick was to get rid of the ball as soon as possible as possession was an invitation to get the shit kicked out of you. In this instance, I was knocked to the ground still holding the ball, and I was kicked and punched until I let go. One of the kicks split my head open. It needed six stitches.

Did we moan about our injuries? Did we ummer. All part of the rough and tumble of growing up.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

22-05-2021, 01:42 PM

Oh yes I think we played something similar actually

I once had to have a stitch on my forehead after tumbling off a 4ft wall I was "tight-roping" across.
I know it was one stitch because the scar looks like a centimetre wide Division symbol!!
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2021, 02:02 PM

My mum always said I was a dirt magnet. If my knees weren't scabbed from climbing trees, crawling through pipes, or exploring air raid shelters, they would be red where my mum had scrubbed them with Vim!

I managed to fall out of a tree the day before I started junior school and broke my arm.

I have a corrugated earlug where I skidded down a driveway after coming off my bike, a scar in the crook of my arm where I got caught on barbed wire whilst carrying a dirty great suction 'ose for the local Fire Brigade, a scar in my eyebrow, although it can't be easily seen, when my glasses broke after someone crashed into me whilst playing volleyball, and various scars I cannot for the life of me remember how I got them, only that I was a kid when I "won them".

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top