Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Re: scaffolding

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You going to make use of the scaffolding for minor stuff yourself? Eg redoing window mastic/silicon?
nope all windows already sorted but Sue want to paint the georgian style front wood.

Most if not all the balls up by the previous owner are now sorted and it was a long list believe me.

Easier to say what he touched he cocked up

ever seen a cabinet brace holding apart garage roof joists?

Well now you have, I am leaving this as a reminder of the sheer stupidity of the guy, and he was "supposed to be a builder (cowboy stlyle )
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:09 PM

What the deuce
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:18 PM

his idea of a wood store for fire wood so it can get wet before putting on the lounge fire

local chimney sweep says we were lucky the chimney didnt catch fire

Now there is a nice greenhouse I put up instead

taken at night

you won't believe it took 3 months to clear the site with 60 large plastic bags of rubble
Half of the bags ready to take to the dump

leaking roof fixed and rebuilt upderneath

from this

To this

to this finished look

just a fraction of what needed doing in total
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 12:34 AM

Have they finished the gutter yet?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

02-07-2021, 12:37 AM

more or less finished, Just got to reconnent the downpipes and do a couple of very small cladding jobs on the garage that should have been done by the previous owner.

at least the roof residents have flown , they found 2 nests .

everytime I look at the underside of that porch I don't thinK a professional carpenter could have done much better than my effort. I am quite chuffed how it turned out
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

02-07-2021, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
everytime I look at the underside of that porch I don't thinK a professional carpenter could have done much better than my effort. I am quite chuffed how it turned out
Pity you omitted the 18" x 12" soffit vent that the previous owner installed

Am curious anmbout the dark stains on your unpainted boards. Before I zoomed in, they looked like 2nd hand timbers.

On an unrelated matter, a friend of ours bought a brand new house last year. I noticed that the upright timbers which supported the porch stood proud of the brickwork, leaving a gap of around 3/4 inch. The chippy would have checked his work with a level, and the braces (wish I knew the correct term) would have kept the timbers straight. The only conclusion is that the brickwork isn't vertical Didn't mention it, and when I went round a few weeks later, the gap had been caulked up and painted over. Won't last very long!!

By brand new, I mean new build!!

Not sure how you fix a snag like that without having to take half the front elevation down and start from scratch.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

02-07-2021, 01:29 AM

Addenda. Zooming in on those bare timbers on your porch, well done on running a router around the perimeter of them. Looks as though you've "had the man in".

Only takes a few minutes to change the functional to the elegantly functional
Skytot
New Member!
Stockport
Skytot is male 

10-07-2021, 11:28 AM

I need my fascia & soffit boards replacing . I will probably also have new seamless gutters . My house is a 3 bed semi with a garage at the side . Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your scaffolding?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-07-2021, 11:48 AM

Hi

Originally Posted by Skytot ->
I need my fascia & soffit boards replacing . I will probably also have new seamless gutters . My house is a 3 bed semi with a garage at the side . Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your scaffolding?
Sorry I have no idea on what they would charge in your part of the country. My place is a bit different to yours anyway being a 4 bed detached house. It was an all inclusing price for the whole job. Best to shop around and see what companies charge. We had a £3,000 quote difference for the complete work

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top