Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 04:09 PM
1

Your sporting story

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD1C616A-D8AB-453C-BDBD-DBEE60FD0EA4.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	16387

In one moment, Bobby Orr became a hockey legend. On May 10, 1970, Orr scored an overtime goal in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, giving the Boston Bruins their first championship since 1941.

In 1971, Orr signed the first million-dollar contract in NHL history -- $200,000 a year for five years -- and in 1979 he became the youngest NHL Hall of Famer when he was inducted at the age of 31.


Did you play a sport in high school?
If yes, what sport did you play and were you any good at it?

Share your sporting stories/achievements/lack thereof on this thread



mart's Avatar
mart
Chatterbox
mart is offline
South of England
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,151
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 05:15 PM
2

Re: Your sporting story

All my childhood I played cricket. French cricket in the garden and cricket played from one side of the road to the other (stumps drawn in chalk on the wall outside our house). Cars were a rarity back then so no problems there.

By the time I got to secondary school I was good at cricket. During one sports session when I was 15, my batting innings lasted all afternoon. Come the end of school time, the games master tried to finish it but he couldn't. The only thing that ended it was running out of time.

"School team for you" he said as we walked off the games field but I had to tell him I couldn't take it up because my Father has seen a good job at a factory he used to work for. He brought me out of school early to start it.

I would really liked to have stayed and been in the school team. I've often wondered if it could have gone further.
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 05:46 PM
3

Re: Your sporting story

Originally Posted by mart ->
All my childhood I played cricket. French cricket in the garden and cricket played from one side of the road to the other (stumps drawn in chalk on the wall outside our house). Cars were a rarity back then so no problems there.

By the time I got to secondary school I was good at cricket. During one sports session when I was 15, my batting innings lasted all afternoon. Come the end of school time, the games master tried to finish it but he couldn't. The only thing that ended it was running out of time.

"School team for you" he said as we walked off the games field but I had to tell him I couldn't take it up because my Father has seen a good job at a factory he used to work for. He brought me out of school early to start it.

I would really liked to have stayed and been in the school team. I've often wondered if it could have gone further.
Hi Mart,

That’s an awesome story (accept the part where you couldn’t pursue cricket)!

Thank you for sharing. I don’t think clubs existed back then or you could have joined a club
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Pixie Knuckles is offline
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 5,698
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 05:49 PM
4

Re: Your sporting story

I was rubbish at running sports at school, but I had good hand to eye co-ordination, so things like javelin, archery, netball, volleyball, were good for me.
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 05:52 PM
5

Re: Your sporting story

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I was rubbish at running sports at school, but I had good hand to eye co-ordination, so things like javelin, archery, netball, volleyball,were good for me.
Hi PK, those were my sports as well including Long jump, High jump, soccer, Discus, shot put, and I was captain of the tug of war team. Happy days
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Pixie Knuckles is offline
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 5,698
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 05:54 PM
6

Re: Your sporting story

Oh me too! Tug of War, shot put, Discus...yeah! I couldn't do long jump or high jump very well though. I was better just standing still and throwing things
realspeed
Chatterbox
realspeed is offline
South coast
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 12,931
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 06:13 PM
7

Re: Your sporting story

High school? what on earth is that. Never had it in my schooldays. As for sport erm yes 100 yrd sprint was my thing . Fastest out of 11 colleges did it in 11.2 seconds and world record was 9.2 seconds back then . I was only about 13 years old at the time so not too bad
Time now about 5 years to do same distance
Vlad's Avatar
Vlad
Senior Member
Vlad is offline
West Midlands UK
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,536
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 06:18 PM
8

Re: Your sporting story

Down my local pub I am a god when it comes to the half litre snatch…I think I have peaked a bit early though since the pubs reopened I might have over trained a bit.
My half litre of beer doesn’t even touch the sides when I get it to my lips. I get extra points for lip smacking.
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 06:47 PM
9

Re: Your sporting story

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
High school? what on earth is that. Never had it in my schooldays. As for sport erm yes 100 yrd sprint was my thing . Fastest out of 11 colleges did it in 11.2 seconds and world record was 9.2 seconds back then . I was only about 13 years old at the time so not too bad
Time now about 5 years to do same distance
Great memories realspeed
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-07-2021, 06:47 PM
10

Re: Your sporting story

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Down my local pub I am a god when it comes to the half litre snatch…I think I have peaked a bit early though since the pubs reopened I might have over trained a bit.
My half litre of beer doesn’t even touch the sides when I get it to my lips. I get extra points for lip smacking.
Is that a recognised sport Vlad?
 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.