Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 12:36 PM

A matter of difference.

I'm a complete simpleton when it comes to technology. I have a PC and that's about it. I've been thinking I wouildn't mind something smaller and portable..
Could someone tell me please what the difference is between a notebook, a tablet and a kindle.
Thanks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Re: A matter of difference.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm a complete simpleton when it comes to technology. I have a PC and that's about it. I've been thinking I wouildn't mind something smaller and portable..
Could someone tell me please what the difference is between a notebook, a tablet and a kindle.
Thanks.
Good question and I'd like to know the answer too
I have a kindle which is great - an electronic book, simple to download your chosen books onto ......
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 01:02 PM

My daughter has a kindle too Patsy but she can also Google on it & use the internet.
I hope somebody will explain.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 01:15 PM

My daughter has a kindle too Patsy but she can also Google on it & use the internet.
I hope somebody will explain.
Oooer - must be a different model to mine
Look forward to the answers ......
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

26-08-2014, 01:29 PM

It's called a Kindle Fire I think..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2014, 01:35 PM

It's called a Kindle Fire I think..
No fire in my kindle
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks.
A Notebook is basically just a portable version of a desktop computer (your PC) which runs an operating system like Windows 7 (or <spit> Apple) which can multitask has a keyboard and screen and usually a large mechanical hard drive which stores its operating system and programs (apps) and a fair amount of memory to perform many tasks. The battery lasts a couple of hours. This is the most powerful and flexible of the three.

A Tablet is a much more basic computer with a touch screen. it has no mechanical keyboard and limited functionality but is very thin and relatively light. It has no mechanical parts at all and limited memory. The operating system is either Android (Google) or Apple with Windows making a late run its operating system and programs are stored with in its memory. However for a great number of people it is all they need for answering emails, playing a few lightweight games and exploring the internet. The battery lasts about 10 hours.

A Kindle is a type of electronic book tied to Amazon stores - there are better ones available and arguably they are being replaced by tablets. The battery lasts for weeks.

That is speaking very generally and not entirely accurately as each breed has variations.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:09 PM

A delightfully clear explanation - thanks Bruce - I had been wondering as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:09 PM

I just remembered I had this rather old photo on Picassa web.

The three things on the top row from the left are notebooks of various sizes and ages. The red one is a 10" Netbook (ie a small, portable notebook which predated tablets) The final thing in that row on the extreme right is a now aging Android tablet.

In the centre of the bottom row is an older Sony Ereader (PRS 650 model) which is like a Kindle but can use ebooks from any source. The rest of the items are irrelevant to this subject.

I am overseas at the moment and using the red Netbook to write this.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

26-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Thank you very much Bruce. Seeing as they're portable, where do they get the internet from? Do they have to go where there's Wi-Fi?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top