Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Maggie1947
Kent
Maggie1947 is female  Maggie1947 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Re: A matter of difference.

I have a netbook and a tablet.The tablet is handy to take on a train if on a longish journey.Or to sit in bed with an play a game or 2 on.
Netbook is handy size to sit on the settee in the evenings with, while I watch tv.

Do need wireless broadband for both to get online with.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 06:18 PM

Thanks from me too Bruce

I've got a very old very heavy laptop ... a 7" android tablet and today I've ordered a 10" Hewlett Packard notebook running windows 8.1

I take my tablet everywhere with me as the main thing I use it for has been downloaded to it from my laptop so I don't need the internet to access that information. The main problem now is that it only has 16 gb of memory and I've only go 3 gb left ... must find out how a micro sim card works ... I've got one but no idea how to use it

I have the kindle app on my tablet and just download free books

I now want the notebook as it is more portable than the lappy and can do virtually everything it can do and has a bigger memory 320 gb ... lappy is really old and only got 75 gb but I have only used 32 gb of that !!!! I'm not a techie so don't download music/films, etc.

Something that drives me mad is that when I put my photos on the laptop they go straight to my tablet as well but as there are three photo "programmes" on the tablet they go to all three and if I delete from one it deletes from the other two as well ... what's that all about ? !!!! I think it's all to do with Google+ !!!!

Anyway all I will say is I love my tablet and couldn't live without it !!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 06:26 PM

I am still in the stone age-my computer has a starting handle.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I am still in the stone age-my computer has a starting handle.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thank you very much Bruce. Seeing as they're portable, where do they get the internet from? Do they have to go where there's Wi-Fi?
These days they all have WiFi built in but the notebooks usually have a RJ45 port too. This allows you to plug in a wired Internet or network connection - these are faster connections than WiFi, at least up until now

Example of RJ45 socket

I wired my whole house so there was a wired connection in each room in the days when WiFi was expensive but of course my kids wanted WiFi when they got laptops (same as Notebook) so these days my main desktop computer, my network printer, PVR and my TVs are the only things using the wired connections.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I take my tablet everywhere with me as the main thing I use it for has been downloaded to it from my laptop so I don't need the internet to access that information. The main problem now is that it only has 16 gb of memory and I've only go 3 gb left ... must find out how a micro sim card works ... I've got one but no idea how to use it
One of the flaws of Andoird and probably <spit> Apple is that the apps (programs) cannot run from external memory ie a Micro SD card but photos can be stored in the internal memory or external memory(ie SD card) so external memory is just about essential for such memory gobbling things as photos.

The tablet has a file manager built in to enable you to move things about but you also need to tell the apps (and the built in camera) themselves to store their data on the external memory (some cannot anyway)

That should release a lot of that internal memory.

I have the kindle app on my tablet and just download free books

I now want the notebook as it is more portable than the lappy and can do virtually everything it can do and has a bigger memory 320 gb ... lappy is really old and only got 75 gb but I have only used 32 gb of that !!!! I'm not a techie so don't download music/films, etc.
Notebook and laptop are just synonyms for the same thing; basically the size is dictated by the screen so if you want a smaller device you get a smaller screen. In my photo in an earlier message you see my laptops, the biggest screen is 14" because I want them for portability I have a desktop for power and screen size. However for my kids their laptop is their only computer so they tend to get 17" and larger screens and hence a bigger device.

Something that drives me mad is that when I put my photos on the laptop they go straight to my tablet as well but as there are three photo "programmes" on the tablet they go to all three and if I delete from one it deletes from the other two as well ... what's that all about ? !!!! I think it's all to do with Google+ !!!!

Anyway all I will say is I love my tablet and couldn't live without it !!!
I suspect you have a program like Dropbox sharing your photos among the three devices, unfortunately as you say deleting something on one deletes it on all. There are ways round this but you will have to Google it to find out what they are.

BTW the three photo programs are looking at the same image not three separate identical images you should be able to decide which program/app is your favourite an remove or ignore the other two.

It took me a looooong time to even like my tablet(s) I find the restrictions and fiddly way of doing things which are so simple on a Windows device very annoying. However I am warming to them though I still prefer using my netbook I do use one to watch movies on trains, planes or in bed and to read and reply to emails.

My old tablet is now set up for my Grandson - with educational games and things he likes in a mode where he can't change anything or download anything by mistake..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Carol, Bruce and I covered most of this back in May under the heading Tablets. Baxter was asking the difference between phones/tablets etc and we compared a lot of this, with the exception of the Kindle.

I have the old Kindle but have actually rarely used it (still ploughing through paper books, papers, mags and computers). You can download the Kindle app onto a tablet and view your purchases in colour. I have it on this iPad.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Carol, Bruce and I covered most of this back in May under the heading Tablets. Baxter was asking the difference between phones/tablets etc and we compared a lot of this, with the exception of the Kindle.

I have the old Kindle but have actually rarely used it (still ploughing through paper books, papers, mags and computers). You can download the Kindle app onto a tablet and view your purchases in colour. I have it on this iPad.
As Jazzi mentioned, further information on this subject can be found here...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=17563
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Thank you Jazzi & Mags. Obviously I hadn't seen the May posting.

I hope Bruce didn't mind explaining it again to me and others who were interested.
It was very informative - thanks again Bruce.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 02:02 PM

No problem, Carol.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top