Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Re: A question about ISPs

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Plenty of instances where someone has rejoined a forum under a different guise - on here and elsewhere .

You simply have to type 'IP Address' in Google for your IP Address to appear. Rebooting your router should cause a different IP Address to be allocated to your computer.
Too easy. Ideally, we'd have some means of checking identities.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Too easy. Ideally, we'd have some means of checking identities.
User names - email addresses. Ban someone by them too. Banning someone by IP normally means blocking annoying spam bots - the ones that hit the site over and over looking for vulnerabilities - ones that post nonsense etc.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 10:18 PM

User names - email addresses. Ban someone by them too. Banning someone by IP normally means blocking annoying spam bots - the ones that hit the site over and over looking for vulnerabilities - ones that post nonsense etc.
But surely changing e-mail addresses is easy and changing usernames easier still.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Some suppliers keep the same IP address, some change with every re-boot. If you get banned from a site, you can use web proxy which disguises your id and lets you view the site. The free ones don't normally let you re-join a site but you can pay to upgrade.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Rebooting your router should cause a different IP Address to be allocated to your computer.
Home routers generally have a range of IP Addresses defined in their settings. Individual devices connected to the router tend to have an IP address (from within that range) allocated to it and the router allows the device to keep that IP adderss for a period of (usually) 24 hrs (again configurable in settings).

So, generally you will perpetually keep the same IP address on your computer if you use it daily.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 12:11 AM

They are one and the same surely?

ISP = Internet Service Provider

Do you mean IP Address?

With most internet service providers your IP Address is dynamic and will change each time you reboot your computer. You normally have to ask for a static IP Address.
My IP address is static otherwise how would you be able to set up your own VPN (for those public hotspots)? This is the address assigned to you by your ISP, it would be different each time if you still had dial up, but who has?

The address assigned to each device on your LAN can be static or dynamic depending on your setup. For example my network printer, extra routers and PVR all have static addresses where as my computer, TVs and mobile phones have dynamic addresses. These addresses are also completely different to the ISP assigned address.

In my case I have set the system up so the main router assigns addresses in the range 192.168.1.100 to 150 (doubt I will get more than 50 devices) and all static addresses are 192.168.1.99 or below because you don't want the same address assigned twice. The other routers (used as a wifi extender and LAN switch) does not assign addresses because that way madness lies.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 12:24 AM

I am afraid the last few posts might as well have been written in Klingon to make any sense to me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 10:47 PM

Don't matter either way, this cloud Crap like MS Office wants your name, Email Address, Phone Number etc, etc, so your IP address is the least of your problems.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I am afraid the last few posts might as well have been written in Klingon to make any sense to me.
Rhian speaks fluent Klingon as proven in another post.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top