Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Re: Gutters and Cobblestones

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I noticed this myself when watching the funeral. Even with restrictions, the gentlemen of the family could have offered an arm to steady their partners who are in their bubble.
It is manners and courtesy.
What stood out to me is that the people who were involved have been (supposedly) steeped in protocol, manners, and courtesy their entire lives. If they are disinclined to automatically offer such courtesy, I suspect that this might be a deterioration everywhere.

Does common courtesy now need to be taught? If so, where?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Does common courtesy now need to be taught? If so, where?
Normally its a show by example, but I think because these things are not so common anymore, it does need to be taught. I think youth groups or parenting classes should be the first port of call.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:44 PM

Hi

Times have changed.

In days of old, men walked on the street side to protect ladies from horse mounted robbers

This is no longer the case, the threat is now from muggers in shop and other doorways.

Etiquette has changed to reflect this.

There are many such traditions, such as a man sleeps on the side of the bed with his sword arm free, to be able to protect the lady during the night.

It was part of my job at one time during my life to teach personal safety for females and write the training manuals, in particular for lone workers in high risk situations.

I worked with Erin Pizzey on domestic violence and the Suzy Lamplugh Trust.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Surely the two are inseparable?
(Ugh. Don't get me into a nature/nurture debate .)

Not at all. I'd like to think that we are sophisticated enough thinkers, with enough self-control, to overcome the propensity of one over the other in various circumstances.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 03:55 PM

Thank goodness my husband is still a gentleman and still keeps his "old fashioned?" manners.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by the artful todger ->
not any longer and in any case why? Women wanted equality. They got it. Suck it up.

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I don't do manners. If someone stumbles then I'll put out a hand to prevent them going over but that's all. It would make no difference of which of the TWO sexes they were.

That’s interesting ,do you say please and thank you?..
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-04-2021, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Normally its a show by example, but I think because these things are not so common anymore, it does need to be taught. I think youth groups or parenting classes should be the first port of call.
A good start, but the parents who need to go, wouldn't. What if preteens had to show a number of hours of instruction on a host of areas of concern - manners, safety, de-escalating, problem solving involving strangers, self-defense, road rage, etc. from a source (church, after school instruction, private instruction, online courses, etc. of their choosing?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Times have changed.

In days of old, men walked on the street side to protect ladies from horse mounted robbers

This is no longer the case, the threat is now from muggers in shop and other doorways.

Etiquette has changed to reflect this.

There are many such traditions, such as a man sleeps on the side of the bed with his sword arm free, to be able to protect the lady during the night.

It was part of my job at one time during my life to teach personal safety for females and write the training manuals, in particular for lone workers in high risk situations.

I worked with Erin Pizzey on domestic violence and the Suzy Lamplugh Trust.
SF, you have me now thinking about more extreme forms of safety. Perhaps that needs to be part of a formal education, as well?

I always thought that the protection of sidewalk positioning was more about not getting splashed by the gawd-awful stuff that was in the street.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
A good start, but the parents who need to go, wouldn't. What if preteens had to show a number of hours of instruction on a host of areas of concern - manners, safety, de-escalating, problem solving involving strangers, self-defense, road rage, etc. from a source (church, after school instruction, private instruction, online courses, etc. of their choosing?

SF, you have me now thinking about more extreme forms of safety. Perhaps that needs to be part of a formal education, as well?

I always thought that the protection of sidewalk positioning was more about not getting splashed by the gawd-awful stuff that was in the street.
Hi

Personal Safety was very important in my area of work.

You are even taught where to sit in a room, and it is not where you expect.

Yes, it was extreme, but effective and lone worker females in high risk situations were my staff.

It was not very PC and frowned upon by some, but they were people who had never been in dangerous situations.

Carrying an alarm is not going to save you in many situations where you are perceived as a victim.

Disabling an attacker is, no matter what injuries you inflict on them.

Kneeing a man in the groin is not very effective, it takes time and is easily blocked.

Dislocating his kneecap is much more effective and not something to be expected.

It is incredibly sad that we have to do such things, but such is life.

I would not want to be the man who attacked my sisters, my daughter or my ex employees.

They are going to get hurt and I am quite proud of that.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
That’s interesting ,do you say please and thank you?..
No longer as a general rule when outside of my home.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top