Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:49 PM

Do You Discipline Your Thinking?

Sometimes my mind is a terrible person.

I need to work on that.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:53 PM

Re: Do You Discipline Your Thinking?

I'm not overly sure what you mean by that, SM....are you asking if its easy to remain focused and not be thinking all manner of things while you are trying to concentrate? Or do you mean, thinking mean thoughts?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Yes, mine too, I try to take every thought captive, I think being aware is a great place to start surfermum, a thought provoking thread. thank you.

I think you are a perfectionist, am I right?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Discipline my thinking?

I do try, Surfer, but don't always succeed
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 08:20 PM

PK, I mostly let my mind run amok.

I don't put a lot of thought into metacognition, but Pauline got me thinking about it from another thread. My mind tends to be an over-active and disorganized mess of contemplating ideas, solving problems, making lists, organizing my time, wondering, wonder.....but sometimes I allow myself to travel down a path of dull-witted negative thoughts without putting on the brakes.

I try to stay disciplined in other aspects of life - diet, exercise, work, responsibilities, why not more so in thinking? I am thinking that the older I get, the more I should try to exercise more mental discipline.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
PK, I mostly let my mind run amok.

I don't put a lot of thought into metacognition, but Pauline got me thinking about it from another thread. My mind tends to be an over-active and disorganized mess of contemplating ideas, solving problems, making lists, organizing my time, wondering, wonder.....but sometimes I allow myself to travel down a path of dull-witted negative thoughts without putting on the brakes.

I try to stay disciplined in other aspects of life - diet, exercise, work, responsibilities, why not more so in thinking? I am thinking that the older I get, the more I should try to exercise more mental discipline.
Ahh I see. Yep, I am the same. I try to keep track. but its not easy when one thought leads to another and then you end up down a rabbit hole of thinking. Sometimes it can throw up interesting stuff, which I write down, but mostly it just floats about a bit, then away.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-04-2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Yes, mine too, I try to take every thought captive, I think being aware is a great place to start surfermum, a thought provoking thread. thank you.

I think you are a perfectionist, am I right?
Yes, aware - metacognition. I would claim that I am too busy to be overly aware and discipline my thinking, but that's not a very good excuse, is it?

I'm not a perfectionist - more like a hard worker with a fair amount of clumsiness when it comes to life.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Discipline my thinking?

I do try, Surfer, but don't always succeed
How do you do that, Mups? Do you just check yourself (what I try to do) or is there some other practice involved like meditation, re-direction, etc.?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

19-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Ahh I see. Yep, I am the same. I try to keep track. but its not easy when one thought leads to another and then you end up down a rabbit hole of thinking. Sometimes it can throw up interesting stuff, which I write down, but mostly it just floats about a bit, then away.
Wow, that is fantastic! That is the kind of discipline I like.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That sounds like me too, Pixie, it can actually be fun!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:30 PM

Maybe once upon a time, folks change, circumstances change, tomorrow is another day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top