Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:19 PM

A Nice Idea

These "blessing boxes" are sprouting up around the area, especially in low-socioeconomic neighborhoods. They are filled by individuals or groups with shelf stable food and pet food - free for the taking. People are asked to return the favor by restocking when they are in better circumstances. Local volunteers take charge of making sure the boxes are clean and maintained, food has not expired, and nothing appears to be tampered with.

It's a generous, clever idea - for as long as it works.

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:35 PM

Re: A Nice Idea

They have something like this in some of our supermarkets. Large metal cages are placed near the exit so that shoppers can buy something and then put it into the cage on their way out. The cages, when full, are taken to local food banks.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
They have something like this in some of our supermarkets. Large metal cages are placed near the exit so that shoppers can buy something and then put it into the cage on their way out. The cages, when full, are taken to local food banks.
Nice. We have those too. This is just a little extra thing that is convenient to both the donators and recipients.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:20 PM

Oh this is lovely! We have them for pets, and also for the food bank. In some cities there are free library boxes where you can choose books (and replace when you are done). In the countryside we have "honesty boxes" for fresh produce - just take what you need and pay what you want. I think its lovely that children get involved....it teaches them compassion I think
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-04-2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh this is lovely! We have them for pets, and also for the food bank. In some cities there are free library boxes where you can choose books (and replace when you are done). In the countryside we have "honesty boxes" for fresh produce - just take what you need and pay what you want. I think its lovely that children get involved....it teaches them compassion I think
I have only seen this once - for pumpkins!

Good people, those farmers !
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:30 PM

It’s a wonderful initiative
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 09:51 PM

any act of showing kindness is encouraging and a great example for our children to see and learn from.

People sometimes hit upon hard times and generosity of the people donating is making sure some people have food in their bellies.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-04-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
It’s a wonderful initiative
I thought so too, an plan to support it!

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
any act of showing kindness is encouraging and a great example for our children to see and learn from.

People sometimes hit upon hard times and generosity of the people donating is making sure some people have food in their bellies.
You are so right.

The thing I like about this idea is that addresses an immediate need that can be fulfilled anonymously and with little effort. That kind of generosity teaches children that giving can be easy and it is about others - not the donor.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 10:39 PM

People are mostly nice and want to cooperate with one another, it's capitalism that creates rivalry and competition.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2021, 11:50 PM

I've seen something like this in Northern France but full of books. it's great because it's weather resistant.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top