Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Re: A Nice Idea

We've had community fridges around here for a while now. People donate perishable food that needs refrigerating, and people take what they need.

Of course it can easily be abused but there isn't really much that can be done about it.

I've seen kids out playing who have used one to take a drink which I think is a really good idea, especially since a lot of the old fashioned water fountains have all been shut off for many a decade.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I don't trust people not to steal from those boxes. I prefer to donate money to charities, which help people in need.
That's fine, RJG, but little things like this can create a feeling of community & sharing, which we really need in these times.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
That's fine, RJG, but little things like this can create a feeling of community & sharing, which we really need in these times.
I am fortunate to live in an area where such things are not required.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 12:30 PM

You live in a place where you don't require community or sharing? Is this what you meant?
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 01:39 PM

You live in a place where you don't require community or sharing? Is this what you meant?
I mean people don't need food parcels.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s a lovely idea but ..... what’s to stop some people just taking everything the same as honesty boxes ...they do get robbed and stuff taken dishonestly.
If they do, they do. If someone lives entirely off the contents of the box, then it has served its purpose in an unexpected way.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've seen something like this in Northern France but full of books. it's great because it's weather resistant.
I've seen those little libraries, too. I wonder if the books need to be rotated out more often so the contents don't end up looking like what's on the table of dentist's offices .

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Compassion cannot be taught.
....but consider that habits of generosity can be taught. Perhaps we ended up with taxes because people who weren't compassionate didn't learn to pitch in.

I don't trust people not to steal from those boxes. I prefer to donate money to charities, which help people in need.
It's not stealing if it is free. This isn't the only way of taking care of the people in your community, just a little something extra.

If you want to see stealing, just look at the overhead, misspending, and salaries of charities!

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
We've had community fridges around here for a while now. People donate perishable food that needs refrigerating, and people take what they need.

Of course it can easily be abused but there isn't really much that can be done about it.

I've seen kids out playing who have used one to take a drink which I think is a really good idea, especially since a lot of the old fashioned water fountains have all been shut off for many a decade.
Fancy! We just drank out of the neighbors' garden hoses

Then take a drive.

The boxes aren't required here either, just offered.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

22-04-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Then take a drive.

The boxes aren't required here either, just offered.

What SM said is true, RJG...maybe taking a day out to give to these little projects might be more interesting and fun than a financial transaction to charity.
RJG
UK

22-04-2021, 02:30 PM

What SM said is true, RJG...maybe taking a day out to give to these little projects might be more interesting and fun than a financial transaction to charity.
NO THANKS, I prefer to give money.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 02:56 PM

NO THANKS, I prefer to give money.
Time, treasure or talent. Whatever works.

And the use of your garden hose?
RJG
UK

22-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Time, treasure or talent. Whatever works.

And the use of your garden hose?
Ehhhhhhhhhh?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top