Join for free
Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Re: Song that brings tears to your eyes

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
This kills me. Just so emotive - too emotive in a way ...
Totally amazing
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 11:08 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFh_VWQdjc

Matrimony ....Gilbert OSullivan
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 11:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80QHRTQ3Kmw

Sonny and Cher .....I got You Babe
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

27-05-2014, 11:14 AM

Without You ...Harry Nilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bQGRRolrg0
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 11:23 AM

There are so many, a lot on here already mentioned. But some that come to mind:

George Michael - Careless Whisper
Adele - Make you feel my love
Elvis Presley - American Trilogy
Phil Collins - Another day in paradise
Bobby Goldsboro - Honey (this always reminds me of my dad makes me smile as well)
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Sorry Potts you are making, as they say, too much of a meal of it, personally I prefer the Elvis version.

And how about All by myself, that is truly gut wrenching. And 'Help me make it through the night'. Or just about anything by Patsy Cline.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Sorry Potts you are making, as they say, too much of a meal of it, personally I prefer the Elvis version.

daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 01:54 PM

I actually enjoy opera, but Potts (along with Russell Watson) is not an opera singer, merely a man who sings operatic arias, or in this case, a 'pop' song in the operatic manner. Just because he sings it in Italian does not make it any more than a 'pop' song sung in the operatic manner. Now if he were on the stage of La Scala, or even Sydney Opera House, and performing in, say La Boheme, or Cavalleria Rusticana, or even Carmen, then he would deserve high praise, but as it is he is merely one of many and only 'lauded' because of his looks and having been on BGT. So if anyone is a Philistine, it is you, for comparing him to some of the greats, Pavarotti, Terfel, Caruso, Carreras etc.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Tell Me There's A Heaven by Chris Rea.
Listen to the words if you dare but be warned!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I actually enjoy opera, but Potts (along with Russell Watson) is not an opera singer, merely a man who sings operatic arias, or in this case, a 'pop' song in the operatic manner. Just because he sings it in Italian does not make it any more than a 'pop' song sung in the operatic manner. Now if he were on the stage of La Scala, or even Sydney Opera House, and performing in, say La Boheme, or Cavalleria Rusticana, or even Carmen, then he would deserve high praise, but as it is he is merely one of many and only 'lauded' because of his looks and having been on BGT. So if anyone is a Philistine, it is you, for comparing him to some of the greats, Pavarotti, Terfel, Caruso, Carreras etc.
Operatic snobbery comes to mind - or snobbery full stop.

All I can say is how insensitive you are. You are right in all you say but when I see Paul singing I take the whole man and his story in. The massive undertaking to fullfill his lifelong wish under incredible duress. With that comes the feeling in his voice - the stuggle to overcome his insecurities and to hold notes. You can tell he hasn't been trained as the 'greats' have been but hell he can still hold his own.

If it wasn't for Paul it wouldn't have entered the heads of many to listen to opera but now?

Elvis? Whatttttttttt?

Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top