Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 11:18 AM

council tax benifit claim

I dont know if anyone can answer this question for me , but as my council is as much use as a chocolate teapot i thought i would ask here,just in case lol
My council tax is in joint names , but i have always been the primary name ...I have claimed benefit until now with my wife as the partner ....now my wife is working and i am NOT would it be better to put her as the claimant and me as the partner on the forms ..or will it not make any difference ? thanks
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Re: council tax benifit claim

Pheww no poll taxes here
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Steve - should make no difference - best to be in both names anyway. Circumstances change, so best to leave it as it is... I guess you have stated the 'recent' change in circumstances, unless it makes no difference in your payment...
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Well I, as a pensioner, claim both council tax and housing benefit, BUT as my son lives with me and works, my benefit is reduced accordingly, so would assume that the same would apply when a wife is working.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Thats right - you have to notify them of a change in circumstances, but the bill can be in joint names...
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Well I, as a pensioner, claim both council tax and housing benefit, BUT as my son lives with me and works, my benefit is reduced accordingly, so would assume that the same would apply when a wife is working.
Your wife is working, your son is working and you get:
Housing Benefit
Council Tax benefit
and probably a topped-up state pension too!

No wonder to country's finances are in a mess!

I get NOTHING at all.
My partner gets a basic state pension.
I pay for nearly everything from my own life savings!
Including the near £1900 a year Council Tax!

Still unless I die, the state will have to pay me something when its all gone I suppose.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
Your wife is working, your son is working and you get:
Housing Benefit
Council Tax benefit
and probably a topped-up state pension too!

No wonder to country's finances are in a mess!

I get NOTHING at all.

My partner gets a basic state pension.
I pay for nearly everything from my own life savings!
Including the near £1900 a year Council Tax!

Still unless I die, the state will have to pay me something when its all gone I suppose.
Phil matey, that is the politics of 'envy' - not a good base to make sound political judgments at any time.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2013, 01:46 PM

I think Elbee has mixed up the 'intial' post and Daisy post - Daisy is 'single' !
She refers to her 'son'
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Things have now got really complicated ..I should be starting back to work next week ..it is a trial to start with ..then the job will pay part time with no fixed hours technically anything from 0-40 hrs a week ...i will now have to wait a week or two to see what happens before i try and claim ....I will then have to speak to someone and work it out from there ....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Even if Elbee has got the details muddled, I still sympathise.

You work hard, pay your tax & N.I. , save up for retirement and the government screws you!

You don't work (for whatever reason), and you get all sorts of benefits!

Something wrong here - this is not the politics of envy, it's simply discrimination against prudent, hardworking people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top