Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Re: Christian Names

To the older generation Bruce the use of the term "Christian name" has nothing to do with Christianity, it simply means "first name". But I agree that one has to be very careful in the use of what used to be everyday language. In Emmerdale there's a big argument going on about the use of the term "play the white man".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Emmerdale wouldn't be so daft it's Coronation street doing that one
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is not a question of feelings it is just ignorance and stupidity to ask a person their Christian name if you don't know if they are a Christian. My Malaysian friend is a Buddhist who visits Australia regularly when she was asked for her Christian Name by some half wit she had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. It was not because of poor English she speaks English, Bahasa, Mandarin and Hokkien fluently.

Even asking First Name is misleading because her family name comes first in her name and is followed by her given names.

We live in an era of global travel we have to adapt to the world nothing to do with PC (whatever that means)
Hey I'm the one who asks what people wish to be called I have adapted and consider people when I speak to them. As for first name etc well perhaps this adapting goes two ways if I were in her country I would obviously not ask first name but here in UK it seems entirely appropriate to expect her to realise we use first names first.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Emmerdale wouldn't be so daft it's Coronation street doing that one
I stand corrected Julie.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Well, I've heard it all now - never once crossed my mind .... Maybe cos its a term I've never used - always say whats yer first name ....
Pleased I've never used the term - Christian name, its been said to me plenty of times, never made the connection
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Well I think the one doing the complaining showed her ignorance.

Christian name

1. A name given at baptism. Also called baptismal name.
2. A name that precedes a person's family name, especially the first name.
3. The term is loosely used to mean any person's first name as distinct from his or her surname Also called first name forename given name.

Free Dictionary - Christian Names
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I'll be honest I haven't said Christian name in years as you say we can't always be sure if a person is or isn't a Christian.

I usually ask what people prefer to be called when I need to talk to them so I don't make too many mistakes about what surname etc to use.

Takes but a moment and saves a lot of problems IMO
While I applaud your approach, Julie, and will try to follow suit, I still think the original post did portray PC gone mad. On forms now I think the term 'forename' is usually used, but like others I have never made the association between having a Christian name and religion. It was in common usage as meaning forename, and I can't help thinking that if someone objects so strongly to it there may be an underlying agenda.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 01:37 PM

I think a person of a different culture or religion would be slightly baffled to be asked for a Christian name therefore I will now be asking 'what do you like to be called?' I mean some people hate their first name and use a second or third. I am living and learning.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Asking whats yer first name leaves the door open for them to choose what they prefer too ... I must have known something .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-07-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
While I applaud your approach, Julie, and will try to follow suit, I still think the original post did portray PC gone mad. On forms now I think the term 'forename' is usually used, but like others I have never made the association between having a Christian name and religion. It was in common usage as meaning forename, and I can't help thinking that if someone objects so strongly to it there may be an underlying agenda.
I was an atheist for 48 years so I had an "agenda" I guess in that I found it odd to be asked for a Christian name when I wasn't one. But now with my Faith I don't mind. But I still think when in Rome etc so wouldn't get too upset if someone from a different culture called it something else.

Point has been made in this thread how insulting it is not to know other people's cultures but I think it more insulting when people come here and expect us to know theirs when they have no intention of embracing ours. If I lived any where else in the world I would embrace their culture not expect them to bend to mine.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top