Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Authentic food from the Colonies

I believe that I am right in saying that popular foodstuff, meals etc served up to the British public, in general does not resemble the food INdians, Chinese etc feed on themselves "at home"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Re: Authentic food from the Colonies

Not entirely correct Robert matey. Although most 'Indian' restuarants and take-aways are in fact Pakhistani, there is one truly Indian Restaurant near me. The chef orginates from Southern India (Kerala) and makes Kerala 'specialities' - one of which is Dhosa, its delicious!!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 08:09 AM

THankyou for that response UNCLE JOE. I used to be an assistant buyer for an old department store & we bought goods from a Mr Terry Tawa twice a year. He was from the INdian subb continent & before doing any business he fed us authentic native cooking, I've nnever consumed the equal before or since.

My wife lived in Hong KOng for a time & she commented onhow the food was totally different to local ENglish purveyors of "Chinese" food.

That is what I based my topic upon, my limited experience, hence my diffidence.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 08:21 AM

When I was in India decades ago much to my disappointment no one ate what was available in English Indian Restaurants they ate rice and dhal almost exclusively. Likewise the Chinese or Thai food served up in the similar restaurants here is nothing like the food you get in Malaysia or Thailand for example.
This is the real thing:

Char Koay Teow (from Penang)
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 08:27 AM

I would say Robert that originally when we were given Chinese and Indian restaurants in the UK they probably did make the food to a English taste and not exactly as they made it at home. I remember them becoming popular around the early 1960's. I think that changed years ago and you can go for a Authentic meal in either of these restaurants and ask for the Chefs special which is generally made exactly as they do at home. My Daughter in Law is Thai and she sometimes goes to a Thai restaurant and asks them to make it stronger in flavour or spicy as she says. When she makes me a Thai meal she leaves the truly strong flavour out of my food and makes herself an extra bowl with that strong stuff in. She wont eat Chinese or Indian food unless she makes it herself. So there's something different to think about
My first Chinese meal was in 1962 and we had a three course lunch for
2/6d or half a crown and I felt really chuffed that I had eaten out and eaten something different. I was 15 then and have eaten many different foods since then.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

30-07-2013, 08:31 AM

THanks chums, there is no substitute for knowing what you're talking about is there?
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 09:02 AM

a Pakistani friend invited us for dinner and her MIL with whom they lived was jabbering away and nearly wringing her hands. We sat down to a beautiful curry, with naans, onion bah gees and somosas which were a bit hot but there was a yoghurt and mint dip which cooled the mouth down. We ate it all and thanked her and MIL for a gorgeous meal. MIL didn't look very happy, turned out she thought Nisa had shown herself up by making such BLAND food Nisa said if I did it like we have it, it'd would have blown your head off.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 04:43 PM

I fancy myself pretty proficient at authentic East Indian cooking. I make wonderful chicken and lamb curries. I absolutley LOVE using all the Indian spices and the masalas and I have an entire three drawer cabinet full of all varieties. . I also make a delicious Dhal with spinach and yellow lentils served over basmati rice. I make naan from scratch. I love to make my Indian food at home because I can control the "heat". while I love the traditional spices.. cayanne is not one of my favorites.. I prefer it just a bit milder.

I've also started dabbling in Thai cooking.. It's very much like indian but with more seafood.

Middle Eastern cooking is different still... with lots of meat made into Kabobs and shawarmas. I fancy some baba ganoush right now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 01:37 AM

Part of last night's dinner in a Chinese (owned) restaurant in Jitra, Malayasia

Fish to die for...

I can't agree at all with Audrey's assessment of Thai food as being like Indian with more seafood. Sorry
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I believe that I am right in saying that popular foodstuff, meals etc served up to the British public, in general does not resemble the food INdians, Chinese etc feed on themselves "at home"
The Colonies? Since when was China a British colony, and how long ago was India?

Thai food is as far away from Chinese is as far away from Indian, is as far away from West Indian food. None of it has anything whatsoever in common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top