Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Coming To A Supermarket Near You

Blue eggs could be in supermarkets soon and, apparently, 'they taste much nicer and are healthier' than boring old white and brown ones.

The strange colour is actually the result of a harmless retrovirus which infected the chicken - and their European descendants, Araucana.

The results could allow further research into creating blue eggs “to order” if demand is there.

The blue pigment is due to a unique quality of retroviruses - it’s possible for genetic material from a retrovirus to become permanently incorporated into the DNA of an infected cell.

The retrovirus caused chickens to accumulate a green-blue bile pigment called biliverdin in the eggshell - but the survival of the “blue eggs” through the centuries must have been due to chicken breeders, the researchers say.

Has anyone tried these yet?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Re: Coming To A Supermarket Near You

When we were a little better off I used to treat us to Waitrose eggs they had one type that had pretty bluey green shells. Didn't taste any different but did look nice when they were in the egg cup.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:42 AM

I did wonder if they taste better or are healthier or if it's just a marketing ploy. Not sure I'm happy about the whole virus thing though!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Blue dogs and now blue chicken eggs? You looking for a way to start 'blue' threads? I know a place where such threads would be very welcome - Adult Humour' .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Blue dogs and now blue chicken eggs? You looking for a way to start 'blue' threads? I know a place where such threads would be very welcome - Adult Humour' .
just trying to find different topics - I hadn't connected a blue theme
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I did wonder if they taste better or are healthier or if it's just a marketing ploy. Not sure I'm happy about the whole virus thing though!
I don't think waitrose made any claims they were healthier they were from a different breed of chickens and had a nice picture of a chicken on the front to illustrate what one looks like LOL
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Some duck eggs are a very pale blue colour and we've been eating them for decades - so what's the aggro about 'blue' chicken eggs - so the shells are a different colour - so what????
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-09-2013, 10:31 AM

We have been brainwashed to believe they should be brown I guess. I have never understood that either we don't eat the shell so what is inside it should be what is important.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Some duck eggs are a very pale blue colour and we've been eating them for decades - so what's the aggro about 'blue' chicken eggs - so the shells are a different colour - so what????
I already know that duck eggs are blue and as far as I know, that is a natural occurence - this isn't.

Who's getting aggravated by it?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have been brainwashed to believe they should be brown I guess. I have never understood that either we don't eat the shell so what is inside it should be what is important.
Do you remember when that female cookery star said everyone should eat white eggs and within days, the shops sold out of white eggs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top