Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Re: Coming To A Supermarket Near You

We just bought a dozen blue with a few pink eggs from a farmer near our other house. I always thought it was the type of chicken..the Ameraucana. Here we call them the Easter Egg Chicken. I know that fresh eggs right out of the chicken are the best tasting eggs ever whatever the color.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I know that fresh eggs right out of the chicken are the best tasting eggs ever whatever the color.
When the price of eggs went through the roof, I went to one of the local farms to see what they were charging and I was surprised that they are quite a bit cheaper; even better, I noticed that they taste much nicer as well.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
When the price of eggs went through the roof, I went to one of the local farms to see what they were charging and I was surprised that they are quite a bit cheaper; even better, I noticed that they taste much nicer as well.
I was surprised too... Farm fresh eggs are much milder tasting to me... they don't have a really strong "eggie" taste or smell.. and the yolks are vivid in color.. one would think they would be stronger.. but they ARE very nice.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 12:33 AM

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this, although I eat very few eggs, but I'd be willing to give 'em a try because, as has been said, we don't eat the shell anyway.

Carrots originally were purple before they were monkeyed about with, but I'm not sure I'd buy them if they were re-introduced.

We've been conditioned into believing what colour foods should be, so it would be difficult to try something "new" even if it isn't.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 09:41 AM

When I went to the Farm shop yesterday, I noticed some deep purple runner beans! I was very intrigued by them, gave them a good inspection, thought I might give those a try - and then put them back because I didn't like the colour of them
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 10:21 AM

My granddad grew purple runners when we were kids, lovely beans. It was a surprise to me when I realised runners in the shops were green that seemed quite odd and took me a while to try them for exactly the same reason you didn't try the purple ones
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Do the purple ones taste the same Julie? I've never seen them before but I do like to try different things - if only I wasn't so cowardly ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2013, 11:58 AM

Yes they do, obviously ones straight from the garden taste better than supermarket ones but they are exactly the same.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes they do, obviously ones straight from the garden taste better than supermarket ones but they are exactly the same.
I might just give them a go then next time I'm there (she said with a feeling of ridiculous trepidation )

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top