Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 03:56 PM

how does the smell of good food affect you?

On the American food programme, the host always claims that he gets an ache in his jaw and his saliva flows when he sees/smells something particularly toothsome, and my son agrees, he also says his jaw aches. Whilst for me, I get really growly rumbling aches in my 'belly' (not tummy, belly).

For instance although we are having plaice with creamed pots and petit pois tonight, I can smell that someone in the flats has cooked a corned beef pie, and the smell is driving me nuts, with really strong cramps. In fact am thinking maybe tomorrow?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Re: how does the smell of good food affect you?

Since I have been dieting bread has been smelling wonderful and makes my stomach really growl sometimes, the carrot sticks I then munch on just don't seem quite as good as the bread would have done
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Same as you Daisy - I end up cooking it the next day
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 07:55 AM

The smell of food cooking really stirs my taste buds!!! and I start to salivate. The 'Indian' family on the corner of the road where I live (approx 60 yards away) cook their own curries, and when the wind is in the right direction (it frequently is) I get the smell of curry wafting through my flat - its delicious!!!

I have already mentioned the pie shop down the bottom of the hill from me - walking past this place is delightful due to all the different smells of pastry and the contents inside the pies as they're cooked on the premises. In the same street is a Fish 'n chip restaurant and that too can be a delightful smell and set the mouth watering.

Further into town, one of the supermarkets also has large ovens and a 'spit' on which they roast chickens. The smell at the 'deli' counter of these roasting chickens is truly delightful!!!

I also have a 'Greggs' bakery not too far away from me and they too heat some of their pies and pasties and walking past without calling in can be very difficult. A few doors away from 'Greggs' we have another bakery chain store - Forfars - which apart from selling bakery products is also a restaurant too and the smell emanating from here can sometimes stir the taste buds.

In a part of the town entitled 'North Laines' there is a shop that roasts and sells coffee beans or ground coffee - the smell of coffee beans roasting is truly delightful.

Brighton is well served with pubs, restaurants and take-aways all of which serve cooked food and of course walking past can be difficult if one happens to be hungry (in my case most of the time)
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 07:17 PM

can you just walk past a chip shop?????
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Imagine living in my flat then lavender, in one direction I overlook an excellent Indian take away, an award winning chippy, and a kebab/pizza place, plus three hundred yards directly up the road is superb Chinese take away, and about the same distance to the left is a combination Chinese/chippy, which whilst maybe not quite as good as the others is ok in a pinch. Some nights the combined aromas are quite overwhelming.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 07:37 PM

that must put paid to any diet then daisymay.....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
that must put paid to any diet then daisymay.....
Lisa darlin' - what's a diet???
lavander
s. scotland

10-09-2013, 02:27 PM

oh uj it's just a word i heard ...somewhere...in the distant past...
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

10-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Once a month, payday, we have a take-away, usually we rotate, although have to admit I personally am not a kebab fan and so my son has those when he has worked late, or visited friends in Cardiff and arrived home especially late.

Actually because he works until 8pm (arrives home 8.15) four nights a week and therefore takes a dinner to work with him, we only have a big cooked dinner on the nights he is home between 5 and 6.15. So it sort of evens out over the week.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top