Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Re: Alcohol - liberating?

Blimey, another of my drink induced posts .

It might appear I have a drink problem but I don't think I have. As most of you are aware I run a great deal. Last night I ran with some members of my club for a sweaty 8 miles or so. I was tired before running so you can imagine how tired I was after. This tiredness combined with being dehydrated is the cause of my rabid decline into drunkenness. How dehydrated do I get?

Before I run I like to be fully hydrated and the best indication of this is when I pass water. Last night for instance my water was clear. After though the little that does come from me is orange - dark orange at times - as it was last night.

When I am like above a glass of cold grog is so very inviting. I know I should drink copious amounts of water as soon as possible but blimey that stuff isn't anything like as nice as a chilled glass of booze. Just one heavy glug of booze though gets me drunk more or less instantly. It literally floods my brain within seconds and any resolve I might have had about not boozing when dehydrated goes straight out the window. When I don't run I hardly go near booze as I don't feel the inclination or even like the taste particularly.

My problem isn't so much about booze as having the internet so close to hand .

Such is a runner's life .
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 08:17 AM

Had to laugh at inside of your fridge Bruce. Do you eat out most of the time
I cant go deep on drinking as you started off with MKJ. I just have a drink I don't get drunk or have a hangover with it. BUT I do like a drink nearly everyday. I give my Liver a rest now and again. It takes me 12 days to drink 6 bottles of wine and about 10 to 12 drinking sessions to finish a bottle of gin or vodka. So not the biggest drinker in the World. Its just part of my day and not a mind blowing LSD trip.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Actually MKJ I found your post interesting and wonder how many more people like you there are ... My FIL was an alcohlic driven there by a nit picking nasty mouthed woman who took every opertunity to put the poor man down. He started to use drink to block out the pain and misery his life had become until it became a habit which finally killed him.
My self I used drink to block out my job where I was bullied by my managers until I had a break down ... I told no one about it as I had no one I could trust to confide in. Finally I went to the doctor who signed me off on the sick but with the fear of having to go back one day things got worse as I also had pills and the drink ...After a night of the lowest of low where I considered killing my self. I woke the next afternoon and decided if I didnt help my self no one else would. So I jacked in my job ...(no im not rich but had some savings) didnt attend any more doctors appointments as I felt she was feeding my problems ... and got out and walked each day for up to nine hours sometimes ...It was a long time before things slowley got better and i was still drinking to get my self to sleep as that was when it was worse ...the night thoughts always seem worse! To help this I started sleeping with audio books on and really concentrated on them to stop all other thoughts.This really worked for me, knowing Id never have to go back to my place of work was the biggest healer. Then I packed my dog cat and few belongings into a van and drove to south of france where I have been for nearly 2 years .I love it here life is simple and being a rural area the people around me are too (I mean that in a nice way) I walk, garden,read, chop wood and live a very basic life here with no worries except having enough logs to keep me warm this winter. I still have a few glasses of wine in the evening but try to keep it to that ..
My moral of this story is Identify what makes you feel back ... get rid of it . Find what makes you feel better and do more of it ....
Make sure your wee is always clear and beware of the running as it produces a feeling of being high which you then crash down from, if your over running this high feeling can become addictive. try doing it early in the morning so the crash comes while your still moving around which slows it down feeling . Also did I hear you eat tomuch bran? becareful of this as it makes you poo to fast for the body to absorb vitimins from your food so you may be lacking in vit b which can cause paranoir and depression
Good luck to you ....x
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sounds very deep stuff Robert? Did they help?
Yes they did widen my outlook. They would have been useful at any stage of life. I was a book shop manager back in the 1970s . This experience made me aware of books & authors in general. I have to say I didnt get around to reading that many of them but I knew lots of things about them. I also met a good few authors & on the whole they were a shy retiring lot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 08:49 AM

In my experience of watching not drinking myself it brings to the fore another part of people's personalities something they had dampened and kept hidden. So yes it's liberating but what it liberates is the problem. In my mother her cruel nasty side would come out, with my father his pain and sorrow, my sister her vicious side and my brother his jolly happiness.

No fun for anyone being around any of them when they had a drink although my brother can be a laugh at times.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Actually MKJ I found your post interesting and wonder how many more people like you there are ... My FIL was an alcohlic driven there by a nit picking nasty mouthed woman who took every opertunity to put the poor man down. He started to use drink to block out the pain and misery his life had become until it became a habit which finally killed him.
My self I used drink to block out my job where I was bullied by my managers until I had a break down ... I told no one about it as I had no one I could trust to confide in. Finally I went to the doctor who signed me off on the sick but with the fear of having to go back one day things got worse as I also had pills and the drink ...After a night of the lowest of low where I considered killing my self. I woke the next afternoon and decided if I didnt help my self no one else would. So I jacked in my job ...(no im not rich but had some savings) didnt attend any more doctors appointments as I felt she was feeding my problems ... and got out and walked each day for up to nine hours sometimes ...It was a long time before things slowley got better and i was still drinking to get my self to sleep as that was when it was worse ...the night thoughts always seem worse! To help this I started sleeping with audio books on and really concentrated on them to stop all other thoughts.This really worked for me, knowing Id never have to go back to my place of work was the biggest healer. Then I packed my dog cat and few belongings into a van and drove to south of france where I have been for nearly 2 years .I love it here life is simple and being a rural area the people around me are too (I mean that in a nice way) I walk, garden,read, chop wood and live a very basic life here with no worries except having enough logs to keep me warm this winter. I still have a few glasses of wine in the evening but try to keep it to that ..
My moral of this story is Identify what makes you feel back ... get rid of it . Find what makes you feel better and do more of it ....
Make sure your wee is always clear and beware of the running as it produces a feeling of being high which you then crash down from, if your over running this high feeling can become addictive. try doing it early in the morning so the crash comes while your still moving around which slows it down feeling . Also did I hear you eat tomuch bran? becareful of this as it makes you poo to fast for the body to absorb vitimins from your food so you may be lacking in vit b which can cause paranoir and depression
Good luck to you ....x
Some good stuff there. Thanks .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=Nobaggage; My moral of this story is Identify what makes you feel back ... get rid of it . Find what makes you feel better and do more of it ....
QUOTE]

That's simple but good advice Nobaggage.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Yes they did widen my outlook. They would have been useful at any stage of life. I was a book shop manager back in the 1970s . This experience made me aware of books & authors in general. I have to say I didnt get around to reading that many of them but I knew lots of things about them. I also met a good few authors & on the whole they were a shy retiring lot.
I bet that was an interesting job robert. I have always loved books too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Had to laugh at inside of your fridge Bruce. Do you eat out most of the time
That is only a tiny bit of my fridge. I certainly do eat out a lot. Cooking a meal takes me longer than it does to eat it which seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

I run the BBQ a lot (no washing up)

To complete the picture here's the whole fridge:

Everything a bloke needs
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
My problem isn't so much about booze as having the internet so close to hand .

Such is a runner's life .
Mark we are all getting used to to your little ways

Just don't overdo things and make yourself ill .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top