Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Soup Maker

Has anyone else got a soup maker? (I was going to say electric soup maker, but wasn't that an euphemism from Private Eye?)

Anyway, I've tried it twice and am delighted with the results - the first one was a basic chunky vegetable soup with a base of tinned tomatoes, then a similar one with added chilli and kidney beans.

The only problem is the recipe book that came with it. The majority of the soups have some outlandish ingredient in them (what the **** is passata?) Though I'm always keen to try new tastes, I don't want to fill my cupboard with a load of one-off ingredients, always assuming that the local supermarket stocks them!

Should I proceed in the same way I do when cooking a curry, ie. see what I've got in the fridge and go from there? I looked up soup maker recipe books on Amazon, there were only 2 other than the one I've got, and they both had indifferent write-ups.

With all these lovely fresh veg. I'll be eating, hopefully you can expect to see much less of me!!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Re: Soup Maker

Hi Trixie I don't have a soup maker but make lots of soup time taken thirty minutes using only a good quality heavy bottomed saucepan with a lid/sieve/soup ladle to push the pulp through the sieve.

Passata is a concentrated tomato puree , you can get a similar product by 'passing' tinned tomatoes (through a sieve).

I find an invaluable ingredient for making a quick soup stock is Marigold Organic Vegetable Bouillon Powder , most health food shops and supermarkets sell it. Use sparingly it is very strong.
Trixie
Kent
Trixie is female  Trixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Thank you, Meg. So I could just use some tomato puree from a tube?

On the subject of stock cubes I used to buy some excellent ones in France, made by (I think) Maggi, and labelled Balsamic, for use with pasta and rice. They gave an excellent but not obtrusive flavour, but I've never seen them in supermarkets this side of the channel. Anyone else seen them here?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 01:29 PM

I've never really seem the point of soup, it is neither a meal nor a drink.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 03:50 PM

Maggi is for sale in the UK. most super markets do it but for better ones try in the health shops
I just use a hand blender for my soups and make my own recipies from ingrediates I like .. carrot and chilli is good once blended add some cooked chickpeas and sweet corn. very filling and slimming
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trixie ->
Thank you, Meg. So I could just use some tomato puree from a tube?

On the subject of stock cubes I used to buy some excellent ones in France, made by (I think) Maggi, and labelled Balsamic, for use with pasta and rice. They gave an excellent but not obtrusive flavour, but I've never seen them in supermarkets this side of the channel. Anyone else seen them here?
Hi Trixie that is even more concentrated than passata. If you are using a tiny amount of tomato for flavouring concentrate is ok but when a larger quantity is required I find a good quality tinned Italian plum tomato (strained) is best. It has a much lighter fresher flavor than concentrate.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 04:26 PM

We were bought a blender about 3 years ago and were also given a soup recipe book. I am the head soup maker in our household and have come to the conclusion that you can make soup out of virtually anything that is edible. I like to experiment with different vegetables and throw in a few herbs or spices.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Trixie dont bother buying any more books on the subject plenty of reciepes on line
Look here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/soup
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Funnily enough I made vegetable soup today. Just boiled a mixture of veg, a couple of small potatoes and 2 tomatos cut up, added a veggie stock cube with one and a half pints of water, seasoning and then put it in the liquidiser (blender). It was lovely.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2013, 06:39 AM

We both like soup and I make it often and wondered about buying an electric soup maker. I googled and found this review which tends to make me think I'll stick to my blender and slow cooker.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...home-test.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top