Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Blackberries ?

Just been picking blackberries with my niece and her daughter, great fun and lots of ideas what we will be cooking. Two women approached and asked what we were doing, picking blackberries we replied, why they asked ? well we are going to cook them my niece replied, oh can you eat them the pair asked ???
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Re: Blackberries ?

It's surprising the ignorance of some people. When the young couple moved in next door I asked the wife if she would like some of my home-grown runner beans and she asked how to cook them. That was about 8 years ago; I now give her fruit but I've never offered her any vegetables since then.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 11:42 AM

It is surprising isn't it - with a fruit as well-known as blackberries anyway. Some things that grow I wouldn't touch because I'm not sure what they are. My daughter's neighbour always takes a bag of mushrooms that he's picked in the fields most days and she won't eat them in case they're poisonous - he's in his 80s and I'm sure if he wasn't sure, he'd have died of poisoning by now!

Maybe more emphasis in school on nature's larder is in order!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Incredible isn't it? Not surprising though - unless it's in a tray and shrink wrapped, or ready prepared like peas or pineapple - so many young people don't know how fruit and veg are grown.
I've never picked mushrooms, 'cos I don't know the good from the bad.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I've never picked mushrooms, 'cos I don't know the good from the bad.
When I lived in Birmingham, there was a huge area called The Lickey Hills and the Rangers there do walks every week covering different themes and one them was called Nature's Larder where they showed us what you can and can't eat and I was surprised at just how many edibles there are that we aren't aware of. Mind you, you'd have to really know your stuff wouldn't you.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just been picking blackberries with my niece and her daughter, great fun and lots of ideas what we will be cooking. Two women approached and asked what we were doing, picking blackberries we replied, why they asked ? well we are going to cook them my niece replied, oh can you eat them the pair asked ???

Ooooohhhhh Julie darlin' - save a few pound, place in a kilner jar, add 1 kilo bag of sugar and as much of the cheapest bottle of Gin you can get in to fill the jar up to the lid. Over the next few days, with the handle of a WOODEN spoon, stir the sugar and blackberries at frequent intervals until all the sugar has dissolved. When that has happened, replace lid, and store away in a cool dark place for a minimum of 3 months. It should be about perfect for Xmas!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 04:48 PM

We are a no alcohol household UJ for many reasons health being number one. We have made a couple of low sugar crumbles and using a little filo pastry made a tart. Rest are nestled in a space in the freezer for another day.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Its terrible isnt it !! The last time I visited my sister in law and her 2 teenage kids I offered to make sunday dinner as they had had a busy week and I could not face another M n S ready meal. the youngest who is 15 sat in the kitchen and talked and offered to help. So I said could you peel and chop the swede and carrots for me ... Wots a swede she said ?? surprised I pointed to it and said just peel it then chop it in to small chunks .... Wot do I peel it with she said ? then how do you eat it ....? so I explained about mash carrot and swede and finally she made a good job of it , we seasoned it with some pepper and salty butter and took the meal through to the dining room.... first time the room had be used all week !! she said to her mum and sister , I made the carrot and swede mush ... !!
even her 18 year old sister said wots swede... Its no wonder its becoming harder to find these kind of veggies in the stores now adays
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 06:31 PM

Many years ago, around 40 to be exact, I was preparing a meal for myself, my flat mate and some friends, one of whom was this young American girl who came into the kitchen asking if she could lend a hand. So I asked her to clean the potatoes. Should have said peel, because when she had 'finished' there was a bowl of spuds with skins still intact and a distinct aroma of washing up liquid!! Yup, dozy mare had used fairy liquid and a nail brush to scrub them. Funny thing is, come to think of it, her nick name was 'dozy Rosie'.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 04:08 PM

Blimey, the stories are getting worse! Don't they teach em Domestic Science in school nowadays?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top