Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Bread Making Machines

Does anyone use one of these?

I always made bread by hand (can't be bothered now) but as our local bread has gone up to £1.75 per loaf (with imported bread at around £1.50), I decided to dig out the bread making machine my son bought for me years ago (I think he was after some Chelsea buns again). I've looked at the book, checked it still works (it does) and find that the little metal paddle thing stays inside the bread whilst it's cooking! Is that right?

For some reason, I'm really nervous about trying it out so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do these machines 'prove' the dough so that you can take it out for making bread rolls (and Chelsea buns )?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Re: Bread Making Machines

If you get the right machine they will do all of that and more. We have a Phillips it makes a traditional shaped loaf, but it's basic so you have to add nuts and seeds by hand at the right time. You can I believe remove dough after proving with most machines. We make a big loaf for 50p !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:41 PM

We've got one and it's used most days. Like Julie says, the correct machine will make most types of bread, or just do the mixing and proving for you. If you want a new one, get a Panasonic.

As for tips, we've found that not all flours or yeasts give the same results. There's a bit of trial and error to find the best for your machine.
We've found it best to use a good brand of flour (like Allinsons) rather than a cheaper own brand. This still works out well below the cost of a shop bought loaf.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Just thought of something don't try to make gluten free loaves they do not turn out well at all
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Never really seen the point when bread making is so easy by hand. I make most of our bread by hand and it is quick and easy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-10-2013, 04:56 PM

We have one because we have no where to easily prove loaves, making the dough and cooking is easy enough but unless we turn on the oven a shove a chair in front of it with the dough on it we have no chance of getting a good rise. The machine means we get more bread because the dogs can't get at it !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 05:32 PM

I make our own bread in a machine and there's just one snag. Because we don't eat much bread we very often finish throwing some away when it goes mildew. I cut a newly made loaf in half and one piece goes into the freezer until we need it but the other piece can last a week so it goes off after about 5 days.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 05:56 PM

I've not used mine for a number of years and yes, the paddle sticks inside the loaf. Can be a struggle to get it out.

I liked the parmesan cheese and sun dried tomato flavour but by heaven it gave me heartburn. Probably why I've not bothered for awhile. It's still outside a cupboard ready to use anytime...
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 05:59 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...G-opinion.html

This might help you decide - Si King's reviews of a few on the market.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 06:05 PM

I make my own bread and bread for the family and recently bought a Kenwood Chef because my hands are not what they were and it takes all the hard work out of kneading.

I discovered I can buy lovely fresh yeast online which comes in a cold pack and freezes really well. I don't think fresh yeast can be used in bread machines, I prefer it to dried yeast because of the lovely flavour it gives the bread.

Because I live alone I make batches of rolls and bread sticks rather than loaves for my own consumption The children like them too ...

Parmisan bread sticks

Brown rolls..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top