Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Sitting-rising test

I heard Angela Ripon on Womans Hour this morning, talking of a new programme she is involved with (must have only half heard ... I can't remember details; probably something about aging).

Anyway, she talked of the sitting-rising test as an indicator of fitness and general condition. I couldn't really 'get' what she was saying, so looked it up on-line. Here's a video
Can anyone do it? I don't think my ankles or knees would let me, though I can score 9/10 (or is it 8?) by only using one hand or knee to move both up and down.

Strange the kind of tests 'they' set, though I think I can see the validity in this one ... it's looking for balance, flexibility, core strength and the like
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 06:59 PM

Re: Sitting-rising test

No way !!! I consider myself pretty fit and active, attend a gym regularly but no, would never be able to do that now - maybe 20 years ago?!...
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 07:13 PM

As I recall, there are a series (4 or 6?) of 'exercises' to do. There are ranges set for each exercise, ie 4 in a minute, 8 in a minute or whatever, then an overall assesment of your 'fitness' based on age and how you performed. No idea where I saw them, sorry, but the chair one reminded me! No helping hands allowed - be honest!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2016, 11:31 PM

I think ... no, know I would put my back out attempting that
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 08:40 AM

According to the video I should be dead by now

I haven't been able to get down on the floor or back up again with ease since I hurt my knee 7 years ago .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 10:25 AM

No i would not be able to do this now, due to amputation of some toes my balance is shot, and i have back problems allied with knee and leg pains. So off to get a coffin seem the best option.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 10:41 PM

Im feeling pretty pleased with myself, despite the soreness of my joints I managed an 8/10..
Of course my daughter went up and down effortlessly but shes only 27!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
I heard Angela Ripon on Womans Hour this morning, talking of a new programme she is involved with (must have only half heard ... I can't remember details; probably something about aging).

Anyway, she talked of the sitting-rising test as an indicator of fitness and general condition. I couldn't really 'get' what she was saying, so looked it up on-line. Here's a video
Can anyone do it? I don't think my ankles or knees would let me, though I can score 9/10 (or is it 8?) by only using one hand or knee to move both up and down.
As it happens we have just been watching that programme (I record things beforehand in order to skip through adverts).

I had a good laugh when my wife tried to do the 'stand up' thing and failed miserably.

Then I tried.

She laughed her head off!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 10:58 PM

It was How to stay Young
Unfortunately I fell asleep half way through but stress is a big deal ( get a dog)
Overweight is another with visceral fat ( internal fat ) - Angela Rippon despite and active lifestyle had plenty .
I couldn't do the stand up test .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2016, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I couldn't do the stand up test .
No. I think the activity is impossible to do, and that those who were successful on the programme actually had invisible supporting wires attached to lift them up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top