Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Re: What Jobs Have You Had?

when i left school i trained as a nurse and worked full time for 10 years, then left to have my children, i now do agency work part time, my children are still school age even though is their early teens i like to be at home for them, i might consider going back full time at some point but for now i am more than happy with part time work
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 03:33 PM

I left school at 15 and went to work at Boots the Chemists Lancaster, I was there for6 years and went to another chemist in Preston, stayed there for one year and left to get married and have children.I have done mostly voluntary jobs since.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 04:05 PM

I've only had 3 jobs in my life. I worked as a Summer temporary sales clerk in a large department store; then after college for 39 years was in the accounts receivable department of a smallish telecommunications firm. It was sold and moved away, so got a job as secretary/receptionist/file clerk and general dogsbody for a group of physicians. Then retired early at 63 1/2. Good thread, Mollie!
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Went to school at a Secretarial College. Had to leave school at 15 and was a secretary at many firms for quite a while. When I met my second husband, he was a professional photographer so I joined him running the business and I too became a professional wedding photographer. We covered over 7,000 weddings between us until he died in 2009. I was his full time carer after his stroke for eight years which left him severely disabled. I now volunteer two days a week at our local hospital as an assistant ward clerk and this is a very, very busy job.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 07:52 PM

I did one year at college doing a business studies course ( im not particularly academic to say the least). I worked for an opticians for about a year. Then onto admin work in the ball bearing industry until they went bust. I then took an accounts job in a company that supplied medical and scientific equipment for research, stayed there for about 8 years in various accounts roles.

We then back in 1990 bought our own business.. a village store and post office in a stunning East Sussex village which we sold in 2002. Hard work 13-14 hour days, 7 days a week, but I regret not one bit.

Now I'm an assistant accountant for a large in dependant multi car dealership. I love what I do, keeps the grey matter turning over, love the challenge of making it all balance and problem solving.

Feels good to enjoy your job, doesn't make it a chore (but I wont tell the boss that !).
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Good thread, Mollie!
Thanks, Dandysmom.

This has been a very interesting read, so I'll continue with the occupations I've had.

Once I'd moved to West Germany following marriage, I worked for Brigade Headquarters at 6 Armoured (now defunct) and was there two years working as a typist for six Army officers.

In Worcester I worked for the Veterinary Research Unit at the Milk Market Board for a Veterinary Surgeon, a Biochemist and a Bacteriologist.

In Londonderry, I was again a Civil Servant working at Ebrington Barracks at the Brigade HQ and did some work for the Intelligence Corps there.

In Berlin, I worked for the Special Investigation Branch (Military Police), equivalent to civvy street's CID.

Back in Wigan I joined a firm of electrical engineers in 1983, and I'm still there. I'll have been there 28 years on the 15th of this month.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 10:38 PM

My first job on leaving school was a wages clerk at a local weaving company. Then for 30+ years I worked for the local Council in the Housing Department, then took voluntary redundancy and early retirement 12 years ago. Had 2 years of leisure and then worked part-time for 8 years in my local Vets-mainly completing Insurance Claim Forms for clients, but also helping vets/nurses in ward and consult rooms. Loved this job, but decided 18 months ago that it was 'time for me' and now I am a full-time lady of leisure, enjoying every minute!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Well as for me I have been a jack of all, and master of none, but at least I had a very full working life, mostly spent driving in one form or another, vans lorries, buses and coaches, as well as a 10 year stint as a fireman on the railway, I had 3 spells of working in the demolition business, breaking up a lot of factory machinery in the 60s, lancashire boilers looms card machines, you name it we did it, also dockside cranes in the Liverpool area, also for another firm , I burned a lot of steam engines up on piece work, I also worked in 3 factories, Turner Newall, Gullick Dobson (twice)and a firm called John england, where I was steel guillotine operator, I also drove Lorries, at one time doing a daily run down to the Ford motor works at dagenham, a round trip of 432miles in an old Albion Clydesdale, I drove coaches for a while then ended my driving career with an 11 year spell driving buses, all said I was never out of work in all my working life.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 11:00 PM

That's quite a CV, Aitch.

I've also never been out of a job all my working life, except for a few months here and there when we've moved (again) and I couldn't get immediate employment but, during those times, I never signed on for benefits. I've worked a total of 46 years full time, and two years part time, with something like about six months out of work.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 11:25 PM

I was out of work from March 1st '90 when the company closed, till mid-May '90 when I found a job. Actually, I wasn't looking that hard, enjoying not having to work, as I was collecting unemployment and the mortgage had been paid off long before.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top