Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Re: What Jobs Have You Had?

I left school at 14 (the legal over here age then), worked on a messenger bike for a firm of jewellers, then was given an apprenticeship of 7 years. When I served my time I just went to the jewellers who offered the best job security and wages. I retired about 2 years ago, but I still do some work to keep me from going rusty.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2011, 02:35 PM

I have always worked as a Cashier and I also taught Amercian Line Dance for 10 Years.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 12:08 PM

I left school with 8 CSEs; 4 to O level pass, but had no idea really what I wanted to do and became a messenger for The Evening Standard then made-up to Filing clerk.
I got fed-up with this after 18 months, seeing no real pathways into anything (Unions controlled everything!) and moved on to become a photographic processor in Covent Garden. Itchy feet led to me leave (plus the travel from Hertfordshire by now) and I became a forecourt attendant then foreman at a filling station for a while, then a driver / shop help for a butcher then a driver for an office supplies firm.
I met someone who was in the industrial inspection business and joined that company, going all over the country then overseas, mainly in the oil & gas industry for 12 years with several different companies although I did do a stint building and inspecting fork lift trucks for a while between tours and worked for British Steel for a while too.

I gave up travelling in 1984 and worked for agencies for a while, not sure what to try for then got made redundant and I got into stores work.
I was made redundant after 12 months (!!) but got a stores job with the BBC but ten years later I was made redundant again (!!!).
I got a job working in the plastics industry but then I was made redundant again and got a job in IT.
Three years later that job went too - redundant - and I was back to agency work and short-term contracts until I got another long-term temporary job in IT again.
That fizzled out in December-last (same old-same old!) and I was out of work until last month.
Now I'm a part-time gardener & maintenance man in a home for the disabled and I've not been as happy for years!! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2011, 12:12 PM

I'm pleased you are enjoying your new job now, Martin ..... it sounds perfect for you.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top