Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 12:28 AM

Old delivery systems

Around where I live we have milk delivered in the old way, by this I mean glass bottles to your door, and coal delivered in bags and tipped into a box, Is there any other place where this is done, or is this a nearly extinct function.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 01:07 AM

Re: Old delivery systems

no nothing like that in our neck of the woods
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 01:12 AM

Are you living in a time warp? Lucky you, haven't had a coal furnace since after WWII; I remember the milk in real glass bottles that's been gone here in Washington since about the 1950s......
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 01:45 AM

When I lived in Yorkshire, we had milk delivered up until 2005 and because almost everyone was purchasing their milk from supermarkets and the like, he felt it wasn't worthwhile anymore.....such a shame really.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 02:02 AM

We had an eggman also ... farmer who delivered fresh eggs .... that lost out to the supermarkets also in the 50s here ......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 02:26 AM

I haven't seen a coal man for years, I didn't think many people still had coal fires

Our milkman stopped when the supermarkets took away most of his business and the milk changed to cartons...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 06:37 AM

It still happens up in the very North of Scotland too....but not so much of course. We have an open Fire and collect wood all year round. Also when I walk in the Woods after it's been really windy I always take a carrier bag to collect dropped Pine Cones...They make great Fire Lighters once they've dried out. Lovely smell too when burning.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
Around where I live we have milk delivered in the old way, by this I mean glass bottles to your door, and coal delivered in bags and tipped into a box, Is there any other place where this is done, or is this a nearly extinct function.
yes here in parts of west wales its the same
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 08:05 AM

We can still take a jug to the farm and get 'Fresh' milk.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Not since Gas central heating became the thing. 30 years or so ago, almost every outer london underground station had a coal office outside. And I drove past our old milk delivery depot last week. It was a burned out shell. In the last few years of milk delivery around here. It was run by franchise. Any prospective milkman had to 'buy' his round.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top