Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Re: 28 Years

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I is a Mollie, not a Molly, Missus Marpaul!

Yes it is a very long time, almost half my life in fact. However, some of the electricians who have worked there were there for 40 years, one of whom is still working there.

It's hard to imagine now that when I started there in 1983 I was still a young woman in my early 30s and now at 62 I'm still there!

So many changes, so many faces, in all that time.
They will miss you when you retire Mollie and will you miss them
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2011, 10:43 PM

If I'd miraculously come into enough money to retire comfortably I'd have gotten out in my 30s. It was a job, not a career:I worked to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, and amenities, as I've said before (us oldies tend to repeat ourselves.. !) I didn't hate my job, it was reasonably interesting, and our small department of 5 were compatible and united in our dislike of management. Plus, we were paid quite well, and changing jobs becomes more difficult as you age; so just hung in there till I could retire.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
If I'd miraculously come into enough money to retire comfortably I'd have gotten out in my 30s. It was a job, not a career:I worked to keep a roof over my head, food on the table, and amenities, as I've said before (us oldies tend to repeat ourselves.. !) I didn't hate my job, it was reasonably interesting, and our small department of 5 were compatible and united in our dislike of management. Plus, we were paid quite well, and changing jobs becomes more difficult as you age; so just hung in there till I could retire.
Eileen I could never had stayed as long as you did with a company. I always found that the powers that be used to 'know better than everyone else' and got on my nerves with their attitude so I just walk out.
One firm I worked for the Director said(when I handed in my notice) 'You cant just walk out you have to serve notice', my reply was, Watch me.

That is my nature I guess, I can never stand inefficiency in people.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Oh AB, you would have been a breath of fresh air here! Our two bosses were insufferable know-it-alls who enjoyed their position of power, micro-managers, and no one ever really stood up to them. We just gritted our teeth, rolled our eyes, and thought of that fat pay check ......
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 12:45 AM

the longest for me was 12 years
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 01:01 AM

No Brian, I'm fine with working. Just sometimes I wish I had the choice and, if I had, I'd probably just work three days a week instead of five as I don't feel the benefit of retirement, albeit part-time.

Marpaul, I just can't retire altogether. Yes, they'd miss me and have to train somebody else up for my job, but I'd also miss them. It was mentioned by my boss that if I did decide to retire altogether, he'd appreciate a three month warning so as to train somebody else.

Three months to learn what I've done in 28 years! I know what he means though.

I've been very lucky in that I've seen lads come and go at work, but I have always been respected by all, both electricians and bosses, even customers, and I can't imagine not being part of that after so long. It can be a struggle at times, but I keeps going!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
the longest for me was 12 years
Hello Missus Pixie. We haven't seen you on here in a while. Why don't you tell folk what you've been doing.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2011, 01:07 AM

had some Heart problams still not over yet
so just talking it slow
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

20-10-2011, 01:25 AM

I know lass, but tell folk here what job you've been doing. It isn't an easy one for someone of your age, although I know you love it very much.

There's a Health & Fitness section here and I'm sure folk will give you loads of support if you tell them what's been happening to you.
pixie
Canada

20-10-2011, 03:06 AM

my job is not hard I am a nanny the boys are teens

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top