Join for free
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2011, 08:12 PM

These people make me mad

Dear Valued Customer,

ACCOUNTS THAT NEEDS TO BE REVIEWED. The main
reason for this action are

* Billing / Payment Issues
* Abuse color: black

Review your account

Regards,
Santander Bank Member Services

Just seen this in my inbox..... and oh yeah ! ... what ever. I do actually bank with Santander but am I as green as I'm cabbage looking ... Naaah... i will politely decline the link to click.. now naff orf !

These people that prey on others severely get me mad. Some poor soul will have clicked the link and God knows what will have happened.

Ok I feel better for the outburst.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 01:23 AM

Re: These people make me mad

I sympathise, however I never get any spam mail at home but, at work, I have been told that my packages are waiting for me at Fed-Ex (in America) to be picked up, and please click this link.

I've also had several tickets issued to me by New York cops for a traffic violation!

I've also had emails from "E-bay" saying they need to upgrade my account by "clicking here" otherwise it will be deleted. Fine by me as I've never had an account with E-bay.

Yeh, right!

Luckily, the anti-virus has picked them up and stored them but, as you say Wonda, some poor soul will click on those links. No bank will contact you by email. I even had Clydesdale Bank contacting me regarding my account with them. Er .... ? I don't have an account with Clydesdale Bank!

Methinks you need a better spam filter on your email provider or change your email address to something else. I'm with Yahoo, and never get spam mail except the very infrequent one, which goes directly into my Spam box, but it is rare.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 02:17 AM

I always forward these phishing scams to the appropriate place, you can usually find the e-mail address for scams on the bank's site: abuse @, or phishing @. They almost always e-mail you back thanking you and saying it was indeed a phishing attempt and is being dealt with. If more people would take a few minutes to do this it hopefully would cut down on the scammers.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I always forward these phishing scams to the appropriate place, you can usually find the e-mail address for scams on the bank's site: abuse @, or phishing @. They almost always e-mail you back thanking you and saying it was indeed a phishing attempt and is being dealt with. If more people would take a few minutes to do this it hopefully would cut down on the scammers.
Quite right Eileen, everyone should forward phishing scams onto the correct people who could deal with it.

I have my spam sorted for me and just glance through the box to see if a proper email has been planted there by mistake or ones from people claiming to be Banks etc, then hit the empty button.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No bank will contact you by email................................I'm with Yahoo, and never get spam mail except the very infrequent one, which goes directly into my Spam box, but it is rare.
Mollie I think that it's important to realise that no bank will contact you by e-mail, it would help if some of the bank staff knew the reasons for this, a good few years ago I asked someone in my bank why they couldn't send me an e-mail and they didn't really know, she just said "Oh we're not allowed to send e-mails!!!"

I'm with Yahoo as well, they are good, but twice I have had some e-mails appearing to be from someone in my 'folders' list, Do you know if these evil spammers and hackers can somehow get to see my Yahoo 'folders' list and create an e-mail appearing to come from that person??????
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Quite right Eileen, everyone should forward phishing scams onto the correct people who could deal with it.

I have my spam sorted for me and just glance through the box to see if a proper email has been planted there by mistake or ones from people claiming to be Banks etc, then hit the empty button.
Exactly what I do, AB!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Mollie I think that it's important to realise that no bank will contact you by e-mail, it would help if some of the bank staff knew the reasons for this, a good few years ago I asked someone in my bank why they couldn't send me an e-mail and they didn't really know, she just said "Oh we're not allowed to send e-mails!!!"

I'm with Yahoo as well, they are good, but twice I have had some e-mails appearing to be from someone in my 'folders' list, Do you know if these evil spammers and hackers can somehow get to see my Yahoo 'folders' list and create an e-mail appearing to come from that person??????
Yes Losos, that's what I meant as regards no bank will email you, not even your own, and will never ask you to supply any passwords or accounting details. You need to have really good security on your computer, both anti-virus and spyware, which will pick up the spammers.

I think the reason is that out in cyber space there are many spambots which search for any information they can find. Then there's the possibility of somebody replying to even a genuine email and it going awry, which would be picked up by the electronically generated spammers, but mainly I think it's for Data Protection.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2011, 04:44 PM

I did a silly thing many years ago and actually clicked on one of those links which I thought was from my bank which at the time was Nationwide. I hadn't heard about the scams at that time! It was only when a couple of days later I got the same type of email from a different bank that the alarm bells rang and I immediately phoned Nationwide who confirmed that indeed it was a scam as they would never email and ask for personal information. However, nothing got taken from my account, not a lot in there anyhow! and passwords got changed and I learnt a lesson

These days I have 2 main email accounts, an Outlook one which I use for friends and I never ever give it out when registering for stuff on the web and I very rarely get a spam email, just the odd one or two every few months.

The other email account I use is a google one which I use for everything else and always get spam emails, I also get emails from the taxman, banks and various other bods telling me to click on the link!! No way...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top