Join for free
Page 24 of 33 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 04:49 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Me too. The TPS is a waste of time.

The only answer is an answer-phone.

Yes, it seems the best way doesn't it.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2021, 05:04 PM

Last friday morning I had 4 phone calls ,all from 0208 code the other 7 digits were slightly different each time,I lifted the receiver once and a recorded message was saying my telephone line and internet was being cut off in the next 30 minutes, but hey ho it's still working..
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 10:16 AM

All on the same day and within an hour or so!

• A text message from HSBC telling me that a payment higher than my authorised amount allowed is about to be made from my account. Please contact us using the link below: … … … … … …

I don't have an account with HSBC and never have had!

• A call on my mobile from the Investigations department of the National Crime Agency …

That lasted exactly nine seconds before I ended the call!

• Two calls, one after the other on my landline from the usual international number.

Obviously a scam as I don't know anyone from abroad.

Both calls went to answer machine as do all calls to the landline. People who know me will either leave a message or I will recognise their number and call them back. Anyway all of them know incoming calls should be made to my mobile as I never answer the landline.

I am really increasingly sick of all this daily intrusion into my life via my landline, mobile phone and e-mails. Why cannot BT or other service providers stop this? This just gets worse and worse especially as there seems no way to bring these people to justice using the law and making punishments fit this crime. That's what it is I believe, a crime against society! Just what is it in this country that we have to live in this way while the 'no-goods', thousands and thousands of them just stick two fingers up at all of us?

Oh and don't get me started on those Jehovah's Witnesses, for 16 years now they have tried to pester me at my front door, now due to coronavirus they are sending their rubbish through the post!

Rant over, thanks for reading!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I am really increasingly sick of all this daily intrusion into my life via my landline, mobile phone and e-mails. Why cannot BT or other service providers stop this? This just gets worse and worse especially as there seems no way to bring these people to justice using the law and making punishments fit this crime. That's what it is I believe, a crime against society! Just what is it in this country that we have to live in this way while the 'no-goods', thousands and thousands of them just stick two fingers up at all of us?
A very good question.

I wonder whether other countries throughout the world suffer the same intrusions.

If there are some which, for some reason, are immune to it perhaps our authorities should be looking into the reason why and applying the same safeguards to our telephone system.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 11:08 AM

Hi

They are not all scams.

One of my accounts was hacked, I was notified by the bank, quite properly and advised accordingly.

I was very happy with that.

They cancelled my card and I got another one 3 days later.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 11:18 AM

I've just had a telephone call from 'Virgin Media'.

Point 1: The caller spoke rapidly in an Indian/Pakistani accent to the degree that I couldn't understand a word.

Point 2: He asked me to confirm that I am in Manchester, 'M1'. I told him I am not in 'M1'.

Point 3: He asked me how many items I had connected to the router. I lied to him and told him "none at present".

I kept him talking by insisting, quite correctly, that I couldn't understand what he was saying. Eventually he hung up.

If scammers want to succeed, they should surely make an effort to make themselves sound a little more convincing.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've just had a telephone call from 'Virgin Media'.

Point 1: The caller spoke rapidly in an Indian/Pakistani accent to the degree that I couldn't understand a word.

Point 2: He asked me to confirm that I am in Manchester, 'M1'. I told him I am not in 'M1'.

Point 3: He asked me how many items I had connected to the router. I lied to him and told him "none at present".

I kept him talking by insisting, quite correctly, that I couldn't understand what he was saying. Eventually he hung up.

If scammers want to succeed, they should surely make an effort to make themselves sound a little more convincing.
When I get them what I cannot understand what they are saying, after a few tries, I say” hang on a moment whilst I go get an interpreter “. Oh it makes when I am bored at times so exciting.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-05-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
When I get them what I cannot understand what they are saying, after a few tries, I say” hang on a moment whilst I go get an interpreter “. Oh it makes when I am bored at times so exciting.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-05-2021, 10:59 AM

I just had another call from the people at 'Virgin Media'. You know, the ones in what sounds like a very busy call centre in India.

Again, I couldn't understand a word he was saying and, as he was getting nowhere, he said he would get his supervisor to have a word with me.
Suitably impressed, I listened to him as he explained that VM had identified some problems with my router. He asked me how many items I had using the internet, to which I replied "none at the moment".
He asked me if I could connect one of them to the internet and I suggested I could do that with my computer.

We waited patiently whilst the computer booted (actually, it was already running) and, as it is rather slow these days, after several minutes I announced that I was ready. Could I turn on my browser? Yes.
He then asked me to open 'Teamviewer', although as I couldn't hear him properly, he had to spell it out.

It was pretty obvious by now what he was after, so I asked him if he could prove that he is from VM. In response, he gave me my 'customer number', a series of numbers I had absolutely no record of.
I asked him, therefore, that if he is from VM as he claims, could he give me my VM account number?

After several um and ahs and stumbling comments, he announced that he was afraid that he didn't appear to have that number to hand.

It had been about ten minutes by now, so I laughed and suggested that he wasn't going to get anywhere with this 'customer' so perhaps he's like to try someone else, and I was tired of this game now. He hung up!

Just be aware, people, that Teamviewer is a means of accessing other people's computers, probably for honest reasons... but not always!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 12:51 PM

Remote access is something I have only experienced at work, when the tills have gone down, so this is interesting, JBR, thanks

Page 24 of 33 « First < 14 22 23 24 25 26 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top