Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 01:38 PM

Re: Rats on the lawn!!

Hi

Humane Traps?

What a load of rubbish.

They urinate in them and spread lethal disease.

Leptospirosis.

Releasing them just puts others at risk.

f you must use Humane Traps, drown them in bleach.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Why

They bite one and they are infectious.

You really haven't a clue, have you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Rats only bite when they are threatened. I would never poison a rat, they have just as much right to be here as I do but I would be more than happy to move them on a bit.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

Releasing them just puts others at risk.
I plan on releasing them in the woods away from houses & people where they can live without bothering anybody.

I really don't want to kill them. They were having such a good time on my lawn yesterday - they were jumping and running round. Looked like they were playing.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Rats only bite when they are threatened. I would never poison a rat, they have just as much right to be here as I do but I would be more than happy to move them on a bit.
I wonder if the people who died from the plague were as forgiving,black rat I know but still a rat.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I wonder if the people who died from the plague were as forgiving,black rat I know but still a rat.
Probably not but so far in my fifty odd years of seeing rats, they have not attacked me. I did get bitten by next door's dog though.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:13 PM

I found this article, from the Barn Owl trust.

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/haza...r-rat-control/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Probably not but so far in my fifty odd years of seeing rats, they have not attacked me. I did get bitten by next door's dog though.

I hate the darn things, but I am more worried about Rat urine because you can easily get Lepto from that. That is why I never leave any dogs toys out overnight, nor water bowls either. I also wear gloves when I am gardening as I get a small cut, any Lepto can easily get in.

A good few years ago, one of my big gentle GSD's suddenly let out an awful blood curdling 'scream.' I dashed outside and could see he was by one of the hen houses, shaking his head frantically and yelling at the top of his voice.
A huge rat was hanging off his top lip and the more Benny shook his head, the tighter the wretched thing hung on to him.
He was a very gentle dog, and wouldn't hurt a fly, so I imagine he saw it by the chicken house and went to sniff it to see what it was, and the darn thing grabbed him.
As I approached it leg go and scarpered, but left Ben with blood running out of his nostrils and mouth flap.
I got him in the car and it was a dash to the vet.
Fortunately they cleaned him up and sorted him out and he was fine later.

As I have written on here before, my oldest Beddie nearly died when she ate a mouse that had eaten rat bait from next door.
12.30 that night, she was vomitting so much blood, so it was another frantic emergency trip to the vets. He warned me she might not see morning!
I drove myself back, but have no idea how I got home as I couldn't see through my tears, I thought she was a gonna.

She survived and is still with me today, nearly 15 years later.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I found this article, from the Barn Owl trust.

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/haza...r-rat-control/
Trouble is Barn Owls are in serious decline.I haven't seen one for years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Trouble is Barn Owls are in serious decline.I haven't seen one for years.

Unfortuantely much of the live food they catch and devour, has been poisoned by rat bait, and slug and snail pellets.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top